DVD writer problems

DeeW 14:02 04 Dec 2007

My NEC DVD rewriter has run into problems. When I load up XP The computer sees the drive and it will replay DVDs. When I insert a DVD to write to I get drive inaccessible and the computer then sees it as a CD writer!! Any ideas?

xania 14:21 04 Dec 2007

I am currently experienceing the same problem with a brand new (and a previous older) DVD re-writer. I assume that you've installed SP2, and herein lies the problem. Appearently, there are some problems of incompatibility between SP2, DVD+R and Nero. You may find some free burning software that will solve the problem.

click here

for some interesting thoughts

SANTOS7 14:39 04 Dec 2007

I would uninstall the device and reinstall letting your O/S assign new generic drivers for it, if that does not work maybe update firmware from manufacturers website...

billbod 18:59 04 Dec 2007

Have you set one drive to master and the other to slave?
click here
maybe this will be of use

DeeW 10:18 05 Dec 2007

Thanks all

I have 2 optical drives fitted and eveen though they have worked happily together for 3 years, I found there seemed to be a conflict as the DVD worked when the CD was unplugged. I followed santos7 advice, uninstalled the DVD, re-installed it and let XP sort it out. Everything working ok now.

ray0943 17:42 25 Feb 2008

HI EVERY TIME I BURN A DVD IT ONLY BURNS ABOUT 10 MINUTES OFF THE FILM WHICH IS EXCELLENT PITURE THEN I GET A FAILED MESSAGE AND DISC COME OUT DONT KNOW WHY ITS HAPPENEING I BURNED A FILM ON NERO TODAY AND IT WAS FINE AND NOW IT WONT WORK IV TRIED 5 DIFFERENT FILMS EVEN ONE THAT I KNOW BURNED WELL LAST WEEK AS DID ONE FOR MY SON ANY IDEAS PLEASE

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?