DVD writer door wont stay closed

woofwoofbark 11:09 03 Aug 2006

Hi I have just installed a DVD writer and burned around 3gb of tv shows onto it , I took out the dvd which plays great on my stand alone dvd player , but , my computers dvd writer optical drive's door wont stay closed ??? everytime i hit the button to close the door , it just springs back open ... ive checked Device manager but says its working properly , I even switched the comp of but the dorr remains open when the comp powers off ... ive disabled and uninstalled through device manager then installed/enabled but no joy ...

any ideas ??

geo

woofwoofbark 11:16 03 Aug 2006

should I open the side panel and disconnect / reconnect the cables , would that make a difference ?

geo

ArrGee 11:45 03 Aug 2006

Seems as though this is a hardware problem. If you bought the DVD writer new, exchange it.

ArrGee 12:10 03 Aug 2006

Does it do this in safe mode?

ArrGee 12:14 03 Aug 2006

There are some 'joke' trojans going around, like Netbus. These can also cause the auto-opening. BEst to make sure you've got all the latest virus updates and run them.

gooberfish 09:55 04 Aug 2006

is the eject button stuck ?????

woofwoofbark 16:51 04 Aug 2006

I played around (for want of a better explination) with the eject button and gently moved the door for a min or so , its done the trick ! maybe it was the eject button or it could have been the catch too hold the door in place ? who knows , it works fine now !

cheers for your help

geo

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?