DVD player no longer appears in File Manager and..

Florio 12:04 02 Feb 2018

The DVD player on my laptop had always worked perfectly, and until recently I always used it in conjunction with either Windows Media Centre (Windows 7) or Windows Media Player. Even after I upgraded to Windows 10, it continued to function normally. Then for a while I didn't use it as I had most of my media files on USB drives etc.

Yesterday I went to use it again (in the meantime I'd had BIG problems due to a failed Windows 10 update that necessitated a clean reinstall of OS and all programs), and I surprisingly noticed that the DVD drive (D) was no longer listed in File Manager (furthermore, when I insert a DVD disc, it makes a lot of noise, but then nothing happens). The DVD drive is however present in Disc Manager, even though it says 'No Media' when there in in fact a DVD disc inserted.

I've tried just about everything suggested on the internet, from the registry hack that seems to have worked for most people, to making the DVD drive the first boot device. I've updated, reinstalled and installed drivers, removed the DVD device itself and reinstalled it etc. I've also fiddled around with the Autoplay settings, and have set up VLC media player as my DVD player, but it will not play a DVD disk, giving me instead an error message.

I know this problem is largely due to Microsoft phasing out their DVD drives (and players), but there must be a fix. Can anyone suggest something that I might not have considered, or something that worked for them? Thanks. Florio

alanrwood 13:01 02 Feb 2018

Have you checked File Manager\View\Options\Change Folder and Search Options\View Tab.

The ensure that"Hide empty drives" is unticked.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:07 02 Feb 2018

o CD/DVD or CD-ROM access is missing error Code 19, Code 31, Code 32, Code 39, or Code 41 Try this if the optical drives are not appearing in My Computer or Device Manager. (This is sometimes caused by the removal of Roxio or other writing software.)

click here XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip and save this file to your hard drive. Navigate to where you saved it and double click the file to extract the contents. Locate the EXE file you extracted and double click it. A confirmation dialog will appear when the script is done. You may need to reboot for the change to take effect. This utility is only intended for Windows® XP, but also appears to work for Vista and Windows 7. You may need Administrator level access to use this utility. If you do not have Administrator level access, the program will say it is finished, but will not have made any changes.

Similar fixes click here works for W7 Vista or XP click here manual fix Run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\ {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values. Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them. Close regedit and restart the computer. If in doubt make a restore point before making changes.

Download or

Florio 16:17 02 Feb 2018

Many thanks Fruit Bat. Tried the first solution, but it didn't work. Couldn't do the second because there are/were no Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values in the right pane. I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to try next. I feel that the fact the drive is missing from File Manager may have something to do with DVD discs no longer opening properly when inserted in the PC. Most people with ths problem who've written on forums generally seem to solve it!!

rdave13 16:28 02 Feb 2018

Possibly the drive's electronics (PCB) has died. Either replace or get a USB optical drive. If you go for an USB optical drive then you could get an Optical drive caddy to fit in your laptop and install an extra HDD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Home Hub review

This graphic novel uses AR to blur the lines between cartoon, comic and video game

How to watch Apple's October 2018 iPad launch

Comment d├ęsinstaller des applications sur un Mac ?