DVD photo disk problem

Totally-braindead 12:51 29 Oct 2005

I have successfully backed up photos in the past using Nero, created a multisession CD and played it back on my home DVD player linked to a TV. I have been trying to do the same with a DVD but unless I finalise the DVD you can't see the images using a standalone DVD player.

Now obviously I don't want to finalise the DVD until theres a lot on it so this isn't much use. I presume that standalone DVD players can't read unfinalised DVDs (I've tried 3 different makes) but it does puzzle me that it can read unfinalised multisession CDs. Is there a solution to this or does anyone know of a workaround?

€dstowe 13:49 29 Oct 2005

Not an answer but, I'd be very wary of investing so many pictures to a DVD.

Just work out yourself how many of your pictures you can get on a 4.7GB disk. Then imagine your disappointment when the disk fails for some reason or another. DVDs are much more delicate than CDs.

jack 15:20 29 Oct 2005

Taking on board €dstowes advice and assuming your copying the images - ie the masters are safely elsewhere.
Then it rather dependson exactly what is going onto the DVD. if it is simply images I would imaging the disc could be left 'open'
Whereas certain slide shows programs wont work unless closed- indeed some dont give you the option.
Also I have discoveredwher I wanted basic images in the root of the disc in addition to the slide show -
This is not allowed either the slide show will only burn and close a virgin disc.
So it seems that disk type, burn image types are very particular.

Bagsey 18:13 29 Oct 2005

Having had your problem I tried DVDPixplay and have no trouble since

Totally-braindead 20:16 29 Oct 2005

Thanks for that guys, I'll leave this open and see if anyone has a work-around for this problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?