DVD and Floppy Drive stopped working

Sigulda 20:46 20 Aug 2008

My DVD drive and floppy have stopped working. I fitted the floppy drive because people still give me files on floppy disks). They were working fine a couple of days ago. Windows reports that the devices are working. However, I can't access them in Windows Explorer and they don't respond to any disks I insert in them. The only thing I can think of that might have affected them is that I changed some entries in the Startup files recently (using Spybot) because several unwanted programs were starting. I'd be grateful for any suggestions...

woodchip 21:14 20 Aug 2008

check you have not disturbed the plugs on the motherboard, make sure they are pushed in. only do this with power off at the mains

woodchip 21:19 20 Aug 2008

If they do not showing in BIOS then it is the Ribbon cables that are not connected right or faulty

wis 21:22 20 Aug 2008

spybot, have you a restore just before this

Sigulda 21:34 20 Aug 2008

Thanks for your suggestions. However, the DVD drive uses a SATA connector, and uses completely different cables to the floppy drive. They both show up in the BIOS. They were both working a couple of days ago and appear to have stopped working at the same time.
There is a system restore point, but my computer says is cannot restore the system.

woodchip 21:37 20 Aug 2008

If you are running Norton on your Computer Try Disabling it, then try restore

wis 21:40 20 Aug 2008

woodchip
yep forgot the norton bit

Sigulda 22:19 20 Aug 2008

I'm not running Norton, but Kaspersky. I tried disabling it but it still won't restore for some reason...

woodchip 22:22 20 Aug 2008

Then Restore most likely is corrupt.

Check this out to see if it helps click here

Sigulda 21:31 21 Aug 2008

I've reviewed the changes I made to the startup items and I can't see anythiong there that could account for the problem, so perhaps that is not the issue. I last used the DVD drive about a week ago now.
I'd be grateful for any suggestions as to what else might have caused the problem.

Shuffty 22:25 21 Aug 2008

Two things I would try
1 try system restore in safe mode 'I have just had to do this',restore to a time before the spybot thing
2 in device manager uninstall them and reboot windows should pick them up again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Visual Trends 2018: This year’s must-know colour, design, branding & photography trends

iMac Pro review

Apple Music : comment obtenir 3 mois gratuits ?