DVD drive won't recognise DVDs!

Charleu 12:52 07 Mar 2003

Hi,
I just came to put a DVD in my Laptop's DVD drive and the disc half spins up and the drive makes some odd noise, during this the access light flashes on and off as usual but then it stays on and the drive stops making any noises.
The Laptop is a Toshiba 2800-500 running windows ME. The drive is a CD-RW/DVD combo drive and previously I've never had any problems with the drive recognising DVDs, but now it refuses to; it denies there being any disc in the drive at all. The Model is Toshiba SD-R2002.
I don't use the drive for playing DVDs all that often, the last time was in December I think. It runs CDs and CD-ROMs fine. Is this a software glitch or has the DVD part of the drive 'died' - this is especially annoying because its just gone out of warantee! its two years old.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

nelliehob 13:08 07 Mar 2003

MAKE SURE THE DRIVE IS READING A NORAMAL DISK AND IF IT IS TRY RELOADING THE dvd SOFTWARE

Charleu 13:15 07 Mar 2003

Well the drive reads CDs and CD-ROMs fine.
The software works fine because it will decode and run MPEG files. The problem, I think, is due to either the physical drive itself or software directly related to the drive. The drive doesn't recognise a DVD in the drive at all. Therefore I don't think the DVD player software is to blame (which is InterVideo WinDVD)

Charleu 16:09 07 Mar 2003

Oh, and I've tried it with a total of four DVDs!
:(

dth 17:24 07 Mar 2003

Charleu

I agree with you - iy sounds like the drive itself has gone.

Charleu 18:54 07 Mar 2003

Phew!
I brought a lense cleaner and had to run it 5 times in order to clean it sufficiently; it now works again - there must of been a load of gunk on the lense.
I'm very relieved. I nearly gave up after running the cleaner a third time and it still not working, but it does work. No need for a costly replacement!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)