DVD data writing problem, +R –R?

Roy* 09:15 09 Feb 2005

I’ve been having problems from new in saving data to DVD. My DVD drive plays DVD’s but will not write data, so following various attempts following technical supports advice with removing and reinstalling writing software the unit was returned to base. The manufacturer tested the unit and said it was faulty so sent another unit but basically I still have the same problem. However when I tried saving data to CD using the DVD drive it burned onto the CD?

I’m now wondering if it has something to do with DVD’s I’m using? The spec of my DVD is as follows:

SONY 16 x DUAL LAYER DVD REWRITABLE +R/-R/RW

However the replacement that was sent has the following on it:

SONY DVD/CD REWRITABLE DRIVE UNIT MODEL NO./DW-D22A-B2

At the front of the draw it has DVD+R, does this mean that you have to use discs that have DVD+R on and not as I have DVD-R?

Can anybody advise me on what the difference is and whether it could be the cause of my problems. It’s just odd that the manufacturer’s technical support hasn’t mentioned this as a possible cause of the problem?

Also I’m not convinced that the replacement unit is the correct spec, can anybody advise if the model no ‘DW-D22A-B2’ is a ’16 x DUAL LAYER DVD REWRITABLE +R/-R/RW’ or not? As I think that maybe the spec implies it should work with +R or –R but maybe the replacement I received is only +R, but as I said I’ve no idea what it all means?

Note: I also have a 52 x CDRW which reads and writes fine.

Thank you

anchor 09:34 09 Feb 2005

Full spec here:

click here

Sony DW-D22A-B2 Dual Layer DVD±RW Writer
(16x/4x/16x DVD+RW, 8x/4x/16x DVD-RW, 2.4x DVD+R DL, 48x/24x/48x CD-RW

Roy* 09:49 09 Feb 2005

But does that mean it's the same as the spec described on my invoice?

SONY 16 x DUAL LAYER DVD REWRITABLE +R/-R/RW

Or have they sent me something different?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?