DVD CD access lost

jeffjohn 11:58 06 Sep 2008

DVD/CD lost!

I upgraded to XP Home with SP3 but have lost access to the Optical Drives. The BIOS correctly identifies them but Boot is very very slow with the drives flashing. [If I disconnect them, Boot is fast]. They do not appear in Device Manager. In Registry there is no chain UpperFilters or LowerFilters.

I have tried disconnecting/rebooting etc what else can I try?? They worked in WIN98Se and allow Boot Disks such as XP and Linux.

Thanks for any thoughts, Jeff

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:04 06 Sep 2008

Check the jumper settings on the drives
if both on same drive then need to be set master and slave.

jeffjohn 14:24 06 Sep 2008

Re jumpers; with two drives, BIOS correctly identifies Master and Slave and identifies the make and models. I removed the Slave, same problem. No problems with ext USB drives or anything else. Nothing shown in Device manager under Secondary IDE ATAPI. Did the install fail in some way? I had both working drives attached at the time. Incidentally would the R (repair) option work on the install disk?

jeffjohn 19:37 06 Sep 2008

thanks , especially to Fruit bat!

not sure why but have resolved the problem; I took the secondary drive cable to the so called 100 bios skts and r-booted and all works fine!

Can't say why, but hell it all works!!!

thanks greatly for your support! Jeff

jeffjohn 21:44 06 Sep 2008

many thanks Fruit bat! Don't really understand how or why but I plugged the secondary cable into the second pair of primary/sec on the Asus a7v MB and rebooted and all worked perfectly; never had to do this before but as it works, who cares!

System now stable and working!

Many thanks for your kind inputs, Jeff

jeffjohn 11:30 07 Sep 2008

thanks for all the help with this - the problem was a hardware one! My Asus A7V has two pairs of IDE connectors, one DMA66 and the other DMA100; apparently the PC had been using the DMA66 which was fine under WIN98Se but not XP. I switched over and all was instantly working! I'm embarrassed as in my business life I always said "first check the connections!" thanks again Jeff

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?