DVD Burner won't recognise CD

fitshase 08:42 10 Jul 2007

I bought an external USB2 DVD Burner (Samsung) a while back for my old laptop. Now it's not needed so I took the drive out and fitted it to my desktop to replace the current DVD burner (Writemaster).

(Samsung) - Burning DVDs is no problem and the drive is faster than the old one. However, it will not recognise blank CDs (Verbatim). The CDs start to turn then make a noise (this process is repeated until I eject the CD).

I stuck the old DVD burner (Writemaster) back in and that one recognises the CDs but will only burn to 98% completion and then a noise is made and the burn fails.

I thought it might be the CDs so I tried them in my work laptop and that burnt them no problem. So, I got some different CDs from work and the Writemaster burns these OK but the Samsung one does the same thing (spin, noise, spin, noise).

Any ideas anyone? I want to stick some photos on a CD to distribute around but I want to make sure that they are going to be able to be read. I would put them on a DVD but some people I am sending them to only have CD drives.

jack 10:46 10 Jul 2007

This is not at all clear cut like a failed burner is it.
I wonder what program are you using to 'Burn'? the native XP one or a third party one.

Try another burn program
Download this free one CDBurnerXP Pro 3
Check it and come back

fitshase 12:48 10 Jul 2007

I've tried Nero 7 and the built in Windows one.

The problem is that the noise is made by the drive even before I start the software. The Samsung drive doesn't detect the CD (just spins and makes a noise). The Writemaster detects it and will read it no problem but burning is a bit of a problem.

I'm baffled.

jack 19:47 10 Jul 2007

If this is a new purvhase then assumin you have installed it correctly -
But then it must be because it does DVD's but it is CD's you are trouble with.
This does suggest a dud drive- I would send it back whence it came for a new one.

fitshase 19:52 10 Jul 2007

Unfortunately it's not a new purchase. The Samsung was bought about 3 years ago and the desktop computer with the Writemaster was bought about 2 years ago.

I initially thought it was a dud but then it seemed strange that both of them would have problems.

I'll buy a different batch of CDs again and see if it makes any difference. I'm loathed to buy a new drive just to burn CDs as it is DVDs which I use the most (not used CDs in a long while!).

Cheers for your help.

[email protected] 20:25 10 Jul 2007

try uninstalling the secondary ide channel from device manager
ide ata/atapi controllers expand to reveal secondary ide channel uninstall and reboot
then update the firmware for the samsung,to see if that makes any difference

fitshase 21:53 10 Jul 2007

*THE RAVEN*

I have the following under device manager:-

Primary IDE Channel
Secondary IDE Channel
VIA Bus Master IDE Controller

I gather it is just the Secondary IDE Channel that I uninstall?

[email protected] 21:59 10 Jul 2007

secondary ide channel is fine

fitshase 09:58 12 Jul 2007

Still no joy. I've uninstalled the Secondary IDE channel.

I've also updated the firmware on both drives. The Writemaster now writes the CD but still makes a noise at the end. However, the burn is successful.

The Samsung makes the same noise as before and will not recognise the CD.

fitshase 08:18 18 Jul 2007

Still nothing.

I've just been sent some photos on a CD by a friend and the Samsung drive will not read them at all.

The Writemaster drive will read them no problem so I think I am looking at a problem with the drive.

May have to invest in a new one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

How to use 3D Touch on iPhone

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?