DVD 5.1 sound

muddypaws 21:11 23 Sep 2003

I have 5.1 selected and get perfect 5.1 on Black Hawk Down a freebie cd download.
If I run Star Trek DVD 5.1 the only one I have all I get is stereo. It gives me the option of Media Player or Real One to use, which I presume is normal. Double checked all sound settings as far as I know. Can it be DVD player fault. DVD runs OK on domestic. Any ideas please.

muddypaws 21:25 23 Sep 2003

sdf. Win XP Home.
The Black Hawk plays automatically in 5.1, but will give your suggestion a go. Thanks

muddypaws 21:30 23 Sep 2003

sdf. That's all set up as per my system.

muddypaws 15:58 25 Sep 2003

Any more help please. Trying to g et a squeak out of Watford, but as usual they don't want to reply.

muddypaws 16:04 17 Jan 2004

Some months since I posted this, but never resolved it. Just to refresh-----
Win XP Home.
Will play a downloaded game in 5.1.
Will only play DVDs in stereo. All settings tried and tested. Could it be that Win Media Player and Real One do not support 5.1? If so is there a player that does. Thanks.

Diodorus Siculus 16:14 17 Jan 2004

Depends on your DVD software player. I use PowerDVD which has 5.1 support. I don't know if MP / RP can play surround sound. Are there any setup options in either program for surround sound?

muddypaws 16:24 17 Jan 2004

Must admit I haven't checked that on MP/RP.
Is Power a freeby download?

Stuartli 17:50 17 Jan 2004

If you go into WMP9, Tools>Options>Devices, highlight the Speakers line and then click Properties, Audio tab and then Advanced button, you can change the configuration to whatever type of speakers you are using with your soundcard.

muddypaws 19:45 17 Jan 2004

Stuartli
Does WMP9 include 5.1? If so I will update to WMP 9. I did that once but didn't like the format. At that time I wasn't thinking of looking for 5.1 on it.

muddypaws 22:16 19 Jan 2004

Stuartli. Tried WMP9. I select Dolby surround, start the DVD, go back to WMP to check the setting and it has reverted to 'Stereo'. Beats me.
Is 5.1 different to Dolby surround?? If I were to download the DVD to the computer I wonder if it would work then?

Stuartli 09:17 20 Jan 2004

If you go to WMP9's Help section and look up Special Features + DVDs, you will find out what is supported under XP Home and Pro with regard to DVD playback etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Shadow of the Tomb Raider review

Women and LGBT+ comic artists find a home with diverse publisher Avery Hill

iPhone XS vs iPhone X: What is the difference?

Keynote Apple : les iPhone XR, XS, XS Max et l'Apple Watch Series 4