During software download picked up loads of spam software

manrow 21:32 25 Aug 2014
Answered

Downloading what I thought was software from producers website, but after this was completed, a whole series of spam software followed. I have tried to delete these programs through control panel, but each time a box appears saying 'cannot delete during installation'. Through Windows Task Manager I could see that cpu usage is now 100% so I turned laptop off. Is there a solution to this or is wipe the hard drive and reinstall the sensible option? If so what do I need to save before formatting? All of my images and documents are already backed up, but what about drivers etc? The operating system is Windows 7.

manrow 07:43 02 Sep 2014

Useful advice thank you to John Bunyan with ADWCleaner. spuds has hopefully pointed me in the right direction to avoid a recurrence. In particular I will be more careful with Cnet in future.

wee eddie 08:44 02 Sep 2014
Answer

This stuff could be lurking in your Restoration File.

Once you have run ADWCleaner, it would make a certain amount of sense to clear your Restore Points

manrow 13:50 03 Sep 2014

Thanks to everybody who has contributed to this thread, and the satisfactory resolution of my laptop problems. A wonderful forum if ever there was one!

I followed wee eddie's advice and downloaded ADWCleaner. Nothing wrong with the advice but picking my way through the plethora of websites offering to download it for me was unnerving, in view of my recent experiences; several sites (including CNET) offered dubious additional software to download at the same time. Even the official site did not download the latest software, but at least the ADWCleaner programme on opening said so.

Finally after the first scan I had to google most of the items highlighted to make sure they were spam, and indeed they were.

Thanks to everybody who has contributed to this thread, and the satisfactory resolution of my laptop problems. A wonderful forum if ever there was one!

I followed wee eddie's advice and downloaded ADWCleaner. Nothing wrong with the advice but picking my way through the plethora of websites offering to download it for me was unnerving, in view of my recent experiences; several sites (including CNET) offered dubious additional software to download at the same time. Even the official site did not download the latest software, but at least the ADWCleaner programme on opening said so.

Finally after the first scan I had to google most of the items highlighted to make sure they were spam, and indeed they were.

john bunyan 14:57 03 Sep 2014

manrow

Glad it was sorted. I did give a link to ADWCleaner at 0900 on 26th - bleeping computers is usually ok. Do follow up and get rid of old restore points and create a new "clean" one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The best of Gamescom 2019

Best free Photoshop brushes 2019

Apple TV streaming service: what, where, when and how much

Les meilleurs smartphones incassables (2019)