Duplicate settings of 1st Vista user into a 2nd user account?

polymath 22:54 03 Jun 2012

First, please excuse my posting and running away (have to go after this, but will be back tomorrow).

I'm the sole user so far of my Vista SP2 system, and am creating a 2nd (non-admin) user account (1st time I've done it). No problem, except that it has the default Vista settings, and looks like a lot of work to get to my taste (which the 2nd user shares). (I'd forgotten how many things I'd changed originally!). I haven't started the settings yet, as I'm hoping there's a short cut.

I have some instructions for using the settings one's made in a non-admin user account as a template for further accounts. But is it possible to just duplicate the settings of my own account, rather than doing them all over again?

polymath 17:46 04 Jun 2012

Yes, and any other settings that can be done in a emphasized textnewemphasized text user account for use as the default for future accounts.

In fact, as I want user 2 to have access to my documents, photos, address book, bookmarks & other work, I'd like the 2nd account to be just like using mine (to start with anyway, until any different tastes emerge). The only difference I want is for it not to be an admin one (so the other user won't have to worry about 'breaking' anything).

(I realise of course that duplication (if it's possible) can't include the purging of all the superfluous bits of software! Or account settings for individual programs such as Firefox).

It's looking like I'll have to just do those settings again, once anyway. The instructions I have involve selecting a user profile in System Properties, pressing 'Copy to' and selecting the Default User folder. But with my own user profile, 'Copy To' is greyed out.

polymath 21:37 04 Jun 2012

Sorry - thought I was just putting 'new' in italics!

polymath 22:49 06 Jun 2012

Wow - thank you for taking the trouble to suggest a solution in so much detail, [email protected]! I wasn't expecting such a comprehensive reply (I assumed there'd be either a simple way, or no way).

Sorry for the delayed reply; I was hoping to come back with the results, but have been mulling over whether what I wanted to do really warrants making so many changes to the system (and what downsides there'd be, if any).

Meanwhile, while idly doing a few settings in the new account, I realised they weren't taking as long as first time round (probably because I already know what they are and where to find them!). It looks after all as if it would be best in this instance to finish doing the settings in account 2, then make that the template for any further accounts.

I hope the work of your reply won't be wasted (I'm sure it'll help anyone about to set up a substantial network).

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e Release Date, Price & Spec

Robert Hunter talks animating his magical storybook style for a spaced out music video

Best iPhone & iPad games 2019

Samsung Galaxy X : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique