Hot Topics

Dual But Separate Use of Computer

benosc 09:14 30 Jul 2020

Hi I am currently using windows 10 home edition and am the only user. I now want my wife to be able to use the computer which will entail here connecting to her works computer.

Is it possible to have two startup options upon start up so that I can still use the computer as always but my wife can be another user and have windows also installed onto another HD so her work is separate from mine.

Hope the above makes sense and any help appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:32 30 Jul 2020

Do not need a separate version of windows

You just need to set up another account her files will be stored in C: \users\her account name\ documents... pictures...music etc.

It is possible also to move the users folder for each account to a different partition or drive if you require.

If you do not want her to access your filesthen just make sure she is set up as a guest rather than admin account.

Instruction on making a second account click here

benosc 10:59 30 Jul 2020

Hi Fruit Bat Thanks for your quick reply.

I am not worried about her accessing files etc on the computer, I just don't want anyone (especially her IT guys) having free access to it.

So given what you said, is there any chance that whilst my wife is using the computer someone could gain access?

Many thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:44 30 Jul 2020

You can connect using remote desktop or teamviwer but I doubt if the company's IT dept would do that without using a VPN and wouldn't want you accessing their network.

If your wife is going to work from home then the company really should be supplying a laptop for use which is setup with the company's relevant protection.

difarn 17:57 01 Aug 2020

You may be able to install another copy of windows 10 in a dual boot situation.

click here

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Pixel 4a review

Zarin Baksh magickally merges the female form with fantasy

New iMac 2020 release date, price & specs

Les meilleurs gadgets high-tech pour animaux (2020)