Dual boot & the boot.ini file

Somewhere95 20:52 17 Jul 2003

PLEASE can someone help?! I've got Win98SE on a small partition at the start of my drive (G:), then WinXP Pro on the main partition (C:) I know there's a way of editing the boot.ini file so I get the dual boot start-up menu options. As it is now, to switch O/S, I must launch FDISK, then change the active partition. Below is my current boot.ini file for reference:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

powerless 00:53 18 Jul 2003

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(****)\WINDOWS="win 98"

**** enter the partition number here.

Restart and you'll be given the choice. See if it works. If you get a message about "hal" bugger, never been able to sort that out.

hugh-265156 01:32 18 Jul 2003

try boot magic(bundled with partition magic)or system commander.

stlucia 08:37 18 Jul 2003

I installed Win XP Home Edition alongside Win 98SE, and during the install I was given the option to setup a dual-boot system, which I did. My boot.ini file -- created automatically by the XP setup process -- contains only two lines, just like the example Powerless has given.

I don't think there was a requirement for Win 98 to be on c:\ drive, so inserting the appropriate partition numbers for XP and 98 should do the trick. No need to buy or use any 3rd-party software.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?