DSO Exploit - Spybot 1.3

Bernice 15:44 01 Oct 2004

Have report from Spybot as follows:

DSO Exploit: Data source object exploit (Registry change, nothing done)
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=3

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3917183294-2423238198-710880634-1005\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=3

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=3

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-19\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=3

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=3

Fixed problem after switching off system restore but it returns. Internet Explorer keeps shutting down when visiting Yahoo and google. Just about able to keep on this forum long enough to post. (XP Home)

VoG II 15:50 01 Oct 2004

It is a bug in Spybot. click here

Bernice 15:56 01 Oct 2004

Thanks VOG but don`t think this is quite the same. Have checked this thread and downloaded and run DSOstop2 as per another of your thread recommendations but no avail. IE actually does close down as soon as I go here click here The Microsoft advice leads me to download a script update from 2003. Try to run that and it freezes.

Bernice 16:00 01 Oct 2004

Micrsoft link click here

Bernice 16:04 01 Oct 2004

"INF install failure. Reason. I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request"

SANTOS7 16:07 01 Oct 2004

Open spy-bot click settings in bottom left, click settings under web update click "display available beta versions" click OK click update this will download the files for DSO detection and rid you of your problem,god luck

Bernice 16:16 01 Oct 2004

Done that thanks. No newer versions available responded. Have version 1.3 of Spybot anyway but no beta downloads available.

Jackcoms 16:33 01 Oct 2004

Are you running Windows XP?

If so, install SP2 and that will solve your problem.

Bernice 16:42 01 Oct 2004

Yes XP - but not sure I want to go with SP2 because of the problems others are having. What do you think is going on? And why can`t it be solved another way?

Jackcoms 16:57 01 Oct 2004

I haven't a clue what's going on.

However, I do know that DSO Expolit is NOT malicious in any way and it will be solved by a fully patched XP system.

Only you can decide about installing SP2 - but as has been said many times before in this Forum (and the SP2 Forum) make sure you undertake some basic PC housekeeping before installing it.

Undertake a full AV scan, undertake a full malware scan (AdAware, Spybot, a2), defrag, run Check Disk, take a back-up and do NOT turn off your AV when downloading. Ensure that no other programs are running in the background (Word, Excel, etc) during install. If installing from a CD, however, it might be wise to turn off your AV.

Remember that more people have successfully installed SP2 (me included) than otherwise. At the risk of inviting a flood of comment, I reckon that those who didn't get their PCs 'fighting fit' before install are the ones who've had problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?