Dropbox problems on desktop PC

bpzoom 16:33 01 Dec 2018

After several days of confusion I have decided I can get no further. I have downloaded the free version of Dropbox. It sits as an icon on my desktop but there is no sign of the so-called app. Rightly or wrongly I sign into Dropbox on the web and up pops the Dropbox home page. I created "folders(?)" with the names of 3 folders on my PC under Documents. I added the email addresses of 7 people who will share the databases but only with read permission. I tried to "upload" or "copy" the three folders on to the appropriate file names on the Dropbox page. It did not allow me to choose the 3 folders each of which contains a few hundred jpeg images from the IE page. I saw on the web that some browsers will not work, so I changed from Edge to Chrome, and it asked me to select the folders required from the PC and the jpeg images were downloaded into the Dropbox folders(?) on the Dropbox homepage. All the files were there. I went back to the folders in My Documents and made various changes by adding a few images and deleting others,and repeated the exercise as a test to see if it reacted properly to updates of the 3 databases. It added the extra images OK but left in the images I had removed. These 3 databases will be subjected to amendment from time to time and I want the recipients to all be looking at the latest version. I was advised not to upload from the My Documents folders but upload from their "copy" under the Dropbox folders on the PC. But how does the version in the Dropbpox folder receive the updates from My Documents? I copied and pasted, but with no apparent change to the Dropbox version. Finally I have forgotten how to share the latest version with the other 8 people. When does Dropbox notify them that a new version is on the way? Sorry this is long winded. I use Windows 10 by the way. I am not interested in Dropbox as a cloud backup. only to facilitate transfers of large numbers of jpeg files to 8 people.

MJS WARLORD 16:40 01 Dec 2018

the icon you have is not for a program it is for you to access the website , I am on 10 and the first time I used it I went through the walkthrough bit and when told to I uploaded something , I uploaded a document of 48 page of a4 as a test piece and it worked no problem. look in add/remove you wont find a program !

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Pixel Slate review

Brian Cox-branded beer brings Big Bang beauty to bottles

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comment jouer à des jeux de PS2 et PS3 sur PS4 ?