Drives will not accept blank Cd-r discs

loaders 17:12 14 May 2005

Both my D(cd reader)and E(cd writer)drives suddenly will not accept blank discs(Ihave tried several makes)although they both accept and play music etc discs no problem.every time I insert a blank disc I just get the message "please insert disc" I am only trying to copy audio CDs via Nero any thoughts on the problem would be appreciated.

mattyc_92 17:53 14 May 2005

Do you get any other error messages??

What Operating System are you running?

What version of Nero are you running?

loaders 18:12 14 May 2005

No only "please insert disc" I am operating Windows ME.I am runing Nero 5. I have beenable to copy onto blank discs previously a few months ago all OK.

Pooke100 18:37 14 May 2005

are they new disks you've bought? could be duds or your drive might not like them. (sounds quirky but it happens) have you tried a different brand of disk?

mattyc_92 20:56 14 May 2005

Pooke100 has basically said what my next question would be ;-)

Alot of the time you either get "damaged" disks, or your drive doesn't like them...

I would suggest asking one of your friends for a "swap" of one blank CD-R disk of yours for one of theirs.... If their disk works on your drive and your disk works on his/hers, you know that it is the drive not liking the disk.... But if your disk doesn't work on his/hers sys, you know they are "dodgy" disks....

Just a thought though...

loaders 12:20 15 May 2005

Thanks for your and Pooke100 sugestion,I have actually tried 3 diferent makes of disc,in fact the second make I bought a pack of 10 and was able to recod no problem on the first two discs and then had the problem that it would not accept the next 5 I tried,I mentioned this to the shop where I had bought them and he gave me another make to try(TDK)but I still have the problem with them.I will however try your sugestion with one of my friends and see if thatgives me an answer I will let you know .Thanks again.

Joe R 12:30 15 May 2005

loaders,

can you give this a try first.?

click here

This method is the same for any brand.

loaders 22:15 16 May 2005

Thanks for the suggestion,found that both my CD rom & CD rw had their dma box already enabled.Have tried mattyc-92's suggestion and found that my blank cd's are able to be read on his PC but I can't read his on mine,it must be a software problem?? I do every so often when I am trying to record get the error message "Rund1132 has caused an error in SET UP X. DLL-Rund1132 will now close" have you any idea what this refers to.

kakellie 22:55 16 May 2005

Try right click on the drive you write to or read from,and changing the autoplay settings highlight 'the prompt me to choose a action to perform' on each of the drop down menu's for content type you want windows to perform each time you insert a disc.

loaders 17:19 17 May 2005

Tried right clicking on both drives in My computer and Systems but can't find the autoplay settings,I have Windows Me does that make a difference

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Artist Pete Oswald on creating relatable characters & his new book

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts