Drive will not read cd

Gandy 11:52 21 Dec 2003

Whilst building a new PC, my Mirror DVD+RW drive was used to install XP Home and the motherboard drivers, but when I tried to load drivers for the graphics card, the drive refused to 'see' the cd.
The cd's ok as it works in my other computers.
Any comments?

Stuartli 13:01 21 Dec 2003

One possibility is that the drive's CD laser has given up the ghost.

Will it play audio CDs or any other CD?

duckers 13:23 21 Dec 2003

Just a suggestion.... .
There are often issues with CD and DVD drives not reading copy protected CD's but your gfx driver CD shouldnt be protected so I have no idea.. My advuce would be to test a lot of other CD's in the mirror drive and if it doesnt work with a small percentage of them that play in all other drives you may have a problem, the drive must be stil under warranty as it sounds quite new, and if it is see about an exchange or a fix.
Get the graphics card drivers from the manufactureres or chipsets web site, if its ATI or Nvidia this should be no trouble, but I am assuming youve already done or something similar this as your able to message this forum.

Gandy 23:51 21 Dec 2003

Thanks Stuartli and Duckers. Every disk I've tried in the errant drive (data, music, movie) has played OK, so there doesn,t appear to be a problem with the drive...yet the ATI driver disc won't play in it, yet it does in my drives on my other computer (cd-rom; cd-rw-dvd).
I can't see ther being a copyright problem as the drivers in question are freely available on the web.
Thus, I'm left with the enigma of a drive/cd combination that just doesn't work.
Although it's not a problem, it's something to which I'd love to know the reason why?

Stuartli 09:50 22 Dec 2003

The words "won't play in it" are a bit puzzling..:-)

Have you (obviously perhaps) tried opening the disk from My Computer?

I find with XP that a separate line is listed for the contents of a disk after first clicking/opening C and then D.

Clicking then on the new line lists the contents in the main window where you should find a .exe or install link.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?