drive bay usb ports

bythor 13:48 02 Nov 2008

Hi. I'd like to use up a free drive bay on the front of my pc. There were two usb ports on the bottom of the case, but they have had physical damage and I'll stop using these. Where I'm having diffculty is finding a good product that will plug into my mobo in place of the now redundant damaged ports. The ones that I can find either have a cable that runs out the back and into an existing usb port, or they don't say how they're connected. Does anyone have experience of these and recommendations?
thanks for reading.

Technotiger 14:06 02 Nov 2008

Why not just get a PCI 4 Port usb2 card to fit internally.

click here

Technotiger 14:11 02 Nov 2008

If it is just to use that free bay, you could fit a Multi-card Reader instead. Comes in handy if you have a digital camera or photo-card in a mobile phone.

click here

bythor 15:07 02 Nov 2008

thanks for your replies guys! However, I have usb ports at the back, but I want the simplicity of having usb ports at the front - although having usb and card reader facility wouldn't be bad. So it's still the issue of a drive bay that plugs into the mobo..if anyone knows of one?

Diemmess 15:28 02 Nov 2008

Simplicity perhaps when complete, but the best I can find click here are single panel mounted sockets.

These if the correct thing, will need careful work on the push out panel, and suitable connecting leads to the motherboard, not to forget neat soldering to the correct pins!

You say the present ones are damaged.
If they are the circuit board type of fitting, Maplin seem to have a possible replacement for them.

If you can find a direct replacement, do be very careful about the correct connections.
There's a load of amps available which in short circuit condition will heat things faster that you can say Ooops!

bythor 15:47 02 Nov 2008

thanks Diemmess
This is more than I want, I'm hoping there's an off the shelf unit with the necessary ports. I can find lots easily, but they appear to only work by pluggin into another usb port - which almost defeats the object! Surely someone here has a drive bay mounted usb unit that connects to the motherboard?? ;-(

bythor 15:53 02 Nov 2008

thanks Diemmess
This is more than I want, I'm hoping there's an off the shelf unit with the necessary ports. I can find lots easily, but they appear to only work by pluggin into another usb port - which almost defeats the object! Surely someone here has a drive bay mounted usb unit that connects to the motherboard?? ;-(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?