Dreamweaver/common page area maintenance

peabody 13:47 10 Jun 2004

If you have an area common to all pages in a website (a prime example being a navigation menu) MS FrontPage offers 2 ways of easy maintenance: 'shared borders' and 'included pages' (let's forget frames pages regarding this subject).

Does Dreamweaver offer any similar facility? Or is the only option (apart from frames) to update every individual page when a common area such as a navigation area changes?

The particular example I am grappling with is a pop-up menu I have created in Fireworks and exported to my Dreamweaver site. This menu will be common to all (many) pages in the finished site but I only want to maintain it once. Thanks all.

Taran 14:32 10 Jun 2004

I normally do this one of two ways:

1. Make a template page and create all site pages from the template. If you update the template or alter it at all, every page in the site that was created from it will take on the changes.

2. Make a document header with your site navigation in it and include it in your other pages as an SSI (Server Side Include). You do this by referencing the file in your document where you want it to appear, like this:

<!--#include file="filename.txt" -->

I've used a .txt extension there for the sake of example, but for navigation links I'd normally use a differnt file extension.

The point to that is if you included your navigation at the top of each page and, say, a footer with your copyright details and so on in the bottom of each page, you can edit either the navigation or footer elements and each page will include them no matter what you change.

There are other ways but if I have a web server that supports SSI I rather like it for its convenience.

Templates though, offer a whole range of power for sitewide changes so have a go with them first.

peabody 16:03 10 Jun 2004

Thanks,Taran. I'll explore the templates route first - I knew there must be a facility to do this! SSI sounds similar to the FrontPage 'included pages'.

Cheers.

peabody 16:03 10 Jun 2004

Thanks,Taran. I'll explore the templates route first - I knew there must be a facility to do this! SSI sounds similar to the FrontPage 'included pages'.

Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)