download to temp file - how to move it!

Tcan 18:52 08 Feb 2003

Hi everyone,posted here last night about a problem I was having downloading a gane demo of earth & beyond which is 1.06 Gb in size.After a bit of searching around I seem to have found why I cannot download a complete file. Apparently, although u download to a specific location,XP saves it first in the Windows/temp file first.For me,I have a partitoned 80Gb H/D,where C: is the O/S only that is only 2Gb in size.My problem is this partition is not big enough for a temp file that big (not enough space,XP takes about 1.15 Gb.

Any ideas on how to move the temp file?

crx16 18:57 08 Feb 2003

how about installing a download manager into another partition,then use that to download the game?

leo49 19:00 08 Feb 2003

This is how to do it in ME - should be similar for you. Run msconfig and on the Environment Tab you can designate the location.

Regards

Tcan 19:01 08 Feb 2003

crx16,the download mangers that are available for the demo are mainly gamespot & file planet,which default into the c: so I am back where I started! I do not seem able to to change the location for these either. If I am getting the wrong end of the stick & u mean something like mozilla, it would still need to use the above managers to get the file in the first place.

serves me right for being clever & having partions!

cheers

Tcan 19:03 08 Feb 2003

leo49,have ran msconfig but cannot see any enviroment tab,running xp pro

cheers

crx16 19:10 08 Feb 2003

i thought if you installed 'download accelerator plus' you could specify where to install.but im only guessing.click here

leo49 19:12 08 Feb 2003

Sorry, hopefully an XP user will point the way. You might find something here:

click here

click here

click here

Regards

crx16 19:17 08 Feb 2003

check this screen shot from DAP,note you can select temp folder and destination folder click here

Tcan 19:19 08 Feb 2003

thanks for the replies! Problem is I have found vague references to enviroment under XP but nothing specific.Does anyone else do large downloads onto a partioned H/D?

leo49 19:21 08 Feb 2003

Yes but in ME - I have a dedicated partition for downloads and use Download Express.

Tcan 19:30 08 Feb 2003

I too thought I would use a dedicated partition for downloads but came unstuck as i did not realise the file went elsewhere beforehand!!!

I do not use download managers as i have a 1mb cable connection.

keep them coming!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?