Downgrading to dial-up - advice required

Christopher Lewis 11:46 08 Dec 2008

With the recession starting to bite, my broadband is beginning to look like an expensive luxury, so I was wondering about downgrading, and reconfiguring my network.

I have an ordinary home network with Cat 5 cables and RJ45 plugs, thus
PCs -> Router -> Cable Modem -> Internet

Is there a simple ethernet dial-up modem which I could just put in place of the Cable modem?
If not, I guess I would have to set-up with a gateway PC equiped with dial-up hardware. If so, could all the PCs remain plugged into the router as I have them at the moment, or would I need to separate the gateway PC, thus
PCs -> Router -> Gateway PC with modem -> Internet

Thanks
Christopher

oldbeefer2 13:28 08 Dec 2008

I would be surprised if your computer doesn't have a built in modem. Either look in device manager or check the back to see if there's a phone socket there. Worth looking at talktalk - if you're in the right area you would get calls and broadband for about £6 a month!

Christopher Lewis 17:37 08 Dec 2008

Oldbeefer2 - Thank you for your interest, but your reply does not answer my questions. As it happens, my PC's do not have built in modems, but that is not a problem as I have a USB dial-up modem.

Any other contributions?

Ashrich 00:59 09 Dec 2008

Look for a cheaper ISP for your broadband , you can get it for as little as £10 a month through your phone line ( if you can get it that is ) , if you spend a couple of hours a day on dial up you will easily spend that , plus you will still be able to use your phone , and the time you wait for dial up to download things like Windows updates will be enormous .

You would have to enable ICS ( Internet connection sharing ) using the PC that the modem is connected to as a type of server so any other PC's on the network could have internet access , the main PC would always have to be running ( extra electricity ) , do you really want to go back to the dark ages ?

Ashley

Christopher Lewis 11:34 09 Dec 2008

Ashrich - thank you for your interest, but you have not answered my questions.

OK people, I know you are trying to help, but I already know I can change ISPs, or move to some other tariff. I'm even considering not having home access to the internet - I did say it was a luxury. I'm just trying to find out the answer to my questions about dial-up, so I can consider all the possibilities.

Thanks
Christopher

ambra4 15:21 09 Dec 2008

“Is there a simple Ethernet dial-up modem which I could just put in place of the Cable modem?”

“NO”

Hope That Answered Your Question

A 60 hours per week/month account can cost you more than the cost of the

“Expensive Luxury Broadband” if you exceed the hours that you are paying for

Ashrich 17:48 09 Dec 2008

As ambra4 says , although I will say it not quite so forcefully , No there aren't any ethernet based dial up modems .

Ashley

Christopher Lewis 19:25 27 Dec 2008

Thanks for the answers. I have switched ISP and selected a lower tariff. It's a bit slower and has a cap, but I don't think that'll be any more than a minor inconvenience.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?