DOS level long filename copy utility

Lú-tzé 08:33 09 Aug 2003

Can anyone suggest a DOS level file copy program?

My PC will not boot with the slave disk in - it just clicks every few seconds and there seems [?] to be some problem with it. My backup cds are a couple of days old, so I have not lost much but would still like to take the data from the slave to the master if possible. I can get into DOS and access the disk from there but need a DOS program to copy the files.

I have seen xxcopy but think that it needs a windows enviornment to run while the 16bit version only uses 8.3 format names.

Any suggestions very welcome.

Forum Editor 08:42 09 Aug 2003

should do it
click here

Lú-tzé 08:52 09 Aug 2003

Thanks FE; I'll give it a go.

Lú-tzé 10:29 09 Aug 2003

Thanks again FE; that got the data for me. Now to sort out the disk... a fujitsu of the type which was the subject of much discussion in these pages early last year and I thought that I had found a good one.

I'll try a format / fdisk and see where I get to; a new posting may follow.

Lú-tzé 12:39 09 Aug 2003

Last point of note:

I took out the hdd and saw that it was covered in dust so got out my can of compressed air and give it a good cleaning. Thinking I had nothting to lose, I installed the hdd as slave again tried to boot - all fine since then... conicidence? - I don't know but all is well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Why this awful City of Los Angeles job ad for a graphic designer is actually brilliant

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)