Does anyone know how to copy iTunes to hard drive?

Housten 14:48 08 Nov 2017

Good Afternoon, Gentlemen,

I have an iPod, for my sins!! I bought it about 6 years or so ago, took it on holiday with me just after and thought I had left it there. So I was surprised when I found it a few months ago, charged it and it worked. So I recently decided to add some more CDs to it; and then found out I couldn't get iTunes to work. Then I found out I could download the programme from the AppleUK site. Having done that I decided to install a CD to see if I could work the programme. So I imported the CD on to my computer, then sync'd it with my iPod. However I was horrified to find out that ALL my existing tunes were immediately wiped out, and so I had to re-install every CD. I thought about this and decided that this was not something I wanted to do, and so I thought that if I transferred the iTunes on my computer on to my external hard drive I could then put them back on to any new iPod I might have to buy. Hopefully this will not be for some years but I realise I will have to prepare for this eventuality, but I can not find where my CDs are stored!!! So what I would like to know is : Can iTunes be copied to an external hard drive? and if the answer is 'Yes' does anyone know the folder/sub-folder/sub-sub-folder [ or wherever ] where Apple stores my CDs?

All replies will be very greatly received. Many, many thanks to anyone who replies

difarn 15:01 08 Nov 2017

Have a read through this article and work your way through the steps.

click here I be so bold as to ask why, in this day and age, you address your post to Gentlemen? )

May

Jasper33 16:51 09 Nov 2017

I had a similar problem recently when I bought my partner a new iPod Touch to replace a failing 2008 iPod. We also had a new iMac replacement for an old one and multiple iTunes libraries seemed scattered all over the hard drive. I tried working through the steps recommended by Apple but, with scattered libraries and old (purchased) CDs, loading the new iPod Touch with the music from the old iPod turned into a bit of a nightmare.

In desperation, I paid for TouchCopy (there are other apps available), which did what it claimed. All my partner's music files ended up being copied to the correct location in iTunes and I was able to sync the consolidated library using iTunes. You can back up the files to an external drive at the same time.

Housten 16:18 03 Dec 2017

Good Afternoon, Jasper33

Many thanks for your very kind reply, the last sentence was a clincher for me. I will certainly check the programme out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best computer security tips

Meet Superfiction, the little design studio with a load of character

Best Mac buying guide 2018

Comment résoudre les problèmes de connexion internet d’un iPhone ?