dodgey anti virus software code

MJS WARLORD 13:36 24 Feb 2018

ok for legal reasons I have to be careful how I word this.

a workmate of mine got antivirus from *** , she put the keycode in and it was invalid so she rang the number on the keycode card.... the guy she spoke to asked for bank details , he said to prove she had bought it... he then asked her how much she wanted to pay to fix the problem.

at this point she had unwittingly given him remote access and then he said he was not from the antivirus company , he was a tech company. the next day she discovered her bank account was empty.

has this happened to you and what did you do about it..... she took the av keycode card back to the shop and asked them how that phone number got on the card but they refused to help her , the smug guy just shrugged his shoulders and said I only work here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:41 24 Feb 2018

Take it to the police.

octal 14:01 24 Feb 2018

I agree with FB, take it to the police, sadly the bank won't even help because she willingly gave her details to someone.

Poor lass, lesson learnt the hard way.

Forum Editor 18:04 24 Feb 2018

"the smug guy just shrugged his shoulders and said I only work here"

Maybe, but the owner of the business is legally liable if there's anything wrong with the products he/she sells. The police will be interested in knowing where the shop got the software.

As the others have said - the Police station is the first port of call. Your friend is a victim of fraud, even though she gave her bank account details voluntarily.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Les meilleures coques pour iPhone 8 & iPhone 8 Plus