Do SSD drives wear out or start to fail.

bumpkin 21:30 15 Mar 2018

When I first got mine about 3 to 4yrs back I thought they were brilliant, now I am not so sure. I have given up with one 1 that I was using as a backup as I could never write to it successfully in the end.

I had 2 installed until the other day when one of them refused to boot. Now left with one and now that seems to be playing up, i.e. slow to boot and freezing.

Aitchbee 22:32 15 Mar 2018

Yes and Yes.

The second law of thermodynamics says that when energy changes from one form to another form, or matter moves freely, entropy (disorder) in a closed system increases.

Forum Editor 22:50 15 Mar 2018

As with so many components, the life-expectancy of an SSD drive depends to a large extent on its quality...and its capacity. the greater the capacity of a drive, the fewer times a specific area of it will be written to, and it is constantly writing to these drives that will eventually lead to failure.

The failure may be a very long time coming, however. The life span of a Samsung 850 PRO drive has been calculated as being 343 years, but that is extremely unlikely ever to be put to the test. The drive actually comes with a ten year guarantee.

As with all computer hardware devices, the technology is constantly being improved. SSD drives have been around for quite a while now, and newer drives with wear levelling technology and bad block management can be expected to go on working for a very long time indeed.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:24 16 Mar 2018

Yes and yes, it really depends on hoow much use they get.

Mine's in constant daily use and 5yrs old now but appears OK. its the same with HDDs depends on how lucky you are they can fail in weeks or last for years I'm still running a 256 Mb one from the late 80's

Secret-Squirrel 09:36 16 Mar 2018

Bumpkin, it's possible that your problems are software related and there's nothing wrong with your SSDs. Even the cheapest ones should last more than four years of average use.

Luckily, hard drives have built-in diagnostic and reporting technology (SMART) that can tell you the health of the drive. If you don't have any software for this job then download and run Speccy, expand the "Storage" section then look at the SMART status. If you expand the "SMART Attributes" section you'll get more details. The portable version of Speccy doesn't need installing and you can get it from here.

wee eddie 09:38 16 Mar 2018

Bumpkin, how often do you defrag your Hard Drives?

Old Deuteronomy 09:49 16 Mar 2018

I think part of the key to long life with SSDs is making sure there is plenty of free space to allow for load balancing and, as the FE has said, spreading the workload within the drive.

I have been running two Crucial M4 SSDs, in RAiD 0, since late 2012 and, so far, with no problems whatsoever. Throughout this time they have only been around half full.

lotvic 11:38 16 Mar 2018

wee eddie, I thought you don't defrag SSD drives, have I misunderstood?

wee eddie 12:16 16 Mar 2018

lotvic: the question was specifically addressed to the OP

Gordon Freeman 12:33 16 Mar 2018

I don't think you 'defrag' as such on SSDs. I have the Samsung 850 [1Tb] & I use the Samsung magician software to 'optimise' the drive. Not sure it's the same as traditional defragging.

wee eddie 12:39 16 Mar 2018

OK: I was trying to be polite. I know, you know, we know, that you don't use a defragger on an SSD, but maybe, Bumpkin doesn't know.

Constant defragging would explain the demise of his SSDs

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Iglooghost's hyper new music video gives a mutant take on Monument Valley

The best Amazon Prime Day Apple deals 2018

Comment ajouter de la musique à une présentation Google Slides ?