Do i need a Windows Page File/Virtual Memory?

Major Disaster 12:31 03 Jan 2006

Hello,

For christmas i was lucky enough to get a new computer (a Dell Dimension 9150)that was fitted with 2GB of RAM (2 x 1024 MB).

I was wondering (after rembering a discussion about Windows virtual page file a while ago) do i need one any more?

What are the benefits/disadvantages of one?

Currently it is set as
Minimum 2046 MB
Maximum 4092 MB

Thanks for the advice

Chegs ®™ 12:41 03 Jan 2006
  DieSse 12:42 03 Jan 2006

Yes you need one - let Windows handle it for you. Chegs links explain it comprehensively.

gudgulf 13:06 03 Jan 2006

This topic causes loads of debate.....and many people DO run without a page file........but I'm not one of them!

Windows is designed to run with a page file,and so are many programs so best to keep it active.

you could fix the size at 2GB....32bit Windows can only address a total of 4GB memory so I don't think you need more than that.

click here for some more reading on the subject.

For the record I too have 2GB RAM and my page file is set as follows.....100MB on the "C" drive with Windows and a further 2GB on a seperate hard drive.

I'd also like to point out that I've kept an eye on my total peak memory usage recently and the most I have seen is when playing Quake4 at ultra high settings whilst having a number of other programs running in the background......highest value is 2.3GB!!!!!

Major Disaster 13:10 03 Jan 2006

Does it make any differce that

I have two hard drives (both 250 GB) in RAID Mirror so that in effect i have two page files?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

See iconic duo Smith and Foulkes' epic animation for the BBC's Winter Olympics coverage

iMac Pro review

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts