Do I have a motherboard problem?

xania 17:31 14 Oct 2018
Answered

I have a Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 motherboard and is just over 5 years old. I think one of my PCI slots is faulty but would welcome advice.
This board comes with a number of PCI slots as follows: PCI EX1_1 – suspected faulty as second USB3 card nor recognised PCI EX16 with Matrox 32 MB Dual DVI-I Graphics card installed PCI EX1_2 covered by graphic card so not available for use. PCI EX1_3 Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I wireless card PCI EX4 Empty PCI1 USB2 card with IEEE Firewire via 1394 PCI2 Empty All are working fine except that first slot and I wonder whether this is a faulty slot or whether there are configuration reasons why this one is not working. The PC is running Windows 10 64 bit version 1803 and I have just re-installed the operating system although I’m pretty certain this problem pre-dates this. Thank you in advance

xania 13:34 16 Oct 2018

No-one got any ideas?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:02 16 Oct 2018

you may have to check BIOS or your motherboard manual sometimes slots share bandwidth and one may not work if another is used.

So try the slot with nothing in the others.

xania 12:17 19 Oct 2018
Answer

Thank you for your advice Fruit Bat. Not sure why I didn't get an alert when you sent this!! As it happens, I spotted a power problem. Two of the pins in the connector had shifted. Pushed them back in place and Bingo!!

wiganken2 12:25 19 Oct 2018

I have also noticed that I have not had email alerts when I expected to.

xania 13:27 19 Oct 2018

I'll drop FE a note

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Red Dead Online release date and gameplay news

Create a glowing superhero

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleures prises CPL