DO EMAILS STORED IN O E TAKE MUCH SPACE ?

gel 15:37 22 Jul 2005

Hello
How can I assess the total space taken by emails stored in OUTLOOK EXPRESS. I am trying to improve the free space available on my PC
Thanks
gel

recap 16:02 22 Jul 2005

It all depends on the length of the email and whether it has an attachment.

You can check the size of the folder if you navigate (via Explorer) to C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Identities\{5BE0DC20-461C-11D6-A92F-B1E501C3A435}\Microsoft\Outlook Express Right click the folder select Propereties, and you will see the size. For instance mine is holding 658Mb of email data.

Stuartli 17:53 22 Jul 2005

>>mine is holding 658Mb of email data.>>

You must have thousands of the things..:-)

...gel

Both OE and Thunderbird allow the compression of e-mail folders.

SurfMonkey _#:@}™ 17:55 22 Jul 2005

you can allways click on any emails you want to save , and then save them to another folder on pc save space in OE or just DELETE

gel 21:08 22 Jul 2005

I like your comment' SurfMonkey _#:@}™'
I have quickly tried it and it works so presumably if I save all emails to a particular folder I shall be able to ascertain the size of the folder from the properties box,that is if I have understood your comment correctly
I tried 'recap' suggestion but I must have incorrectly entered the address because it refused to obey, but thanks for your ideas
gel.

Stuartli 00:39 23 Jul 2005

Whether you store them in OE or elsewhere, they will take up the same space - at least, as I suggested, you can compress them easily in OE.

Most e-mails are text and take up very little disk space even in large numbers.

gel 06:44 23 Jul 2005

Thanks Stuartli. I have compressed as suggested and I also now see that emails are text and take up very little space. Perhaps another way to help the situation is for me to be more ruthless and delete more on a regular basis, but it seems so easy to save emails 'just in case' Thanks again
gel

Stuartli 08:29 23 Jul 2005

I tend to have the same "Save just in case.." mentality - I usually have hundreds, if not thousands, in my Inbox and Sent folders.

However, on more than one occasion it has proved a boon when I have been able to check back on what somebody said or what I ordered and been able to prove it...:-)

recap 14:21 25 Jul 2005

You must have thousands of the things..:-)

The computer I am working from is my works one, I generally have a clear out every year, so as you have said, "However, on more than one occasion it has proved a boon when I have been able to check back on what somebody said or what I ordered and been able to prove it...:-)"

I do catagorise all my emails using Message Rules, I find it makes it easier for me to see who is sending me mail. At the moment I have 51 Message Rules set up with 4 having sub-folders in.

Stuartli 15:49 25 Jul 2005

Until a recent cleanup and upgrading of my system, my Inbox and Sent folders' e-mails went back to 1999...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?