Do batteries just die?

Ian in Northampton 10:26 10 Mar 2012

I just acquired a rather nice secondhand PB All-In-One. It has a TV tuner, and comes with a remote. But: I can't get the remote to function. An IR driver is loaded and shows no errors, so the only thing I'm left to think is that the remote's batteries are dead. It uses a pair of those flat silver ones, about the size of a 10p piece. I checked with the seller, and she had never used the remote in the two years she'd had the PC. So: have the batteries just died - even though they've never been used - and I need to replace them?

Ian in Northampton 10:31 10 Mar 2012

Thanks rdave.

wee eddie 11:47 10 Mar 2012

Before you do anything else.

Get an ordinary pencil > Rub it over both sides of the Batteries and the Contact points within the Remote > Reinstall > Try again > Just in case a build up of Oxides has broken a contact somewhere down the road.

Ian in Northampton 13:28 10 Mar 2012

Many thanks guys. Some things to check out there.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:23 10 Mar 2012

If in the remote they are in use, even if not pressing any buttons, so I would expect them to be dead after two years.

Your lucky they haven't corroded, clean the contacj faces as suggested before fitting new batteries.

Ian in Northampton 14:39 10 Mar 2012

Good stuff again, guys. Thanks.

BT 08:52 11 Mar 2012

To check if a remote is working point it at a digital camera or video camera, and observe it on the camera screen. You should see it flashing when you press a button as the camera sensor will detect the Infra Red.

Aitchbee 09:59 11 Mar 2012

A few years ago, I took apart an old video camera battery unit, as it was not powering up the camera. I managed to salvage 9 out of 10 batteries (1.2V rechargeable), which were connected 'in series' inside the unit, only 1 'dead cell' was causing the malfuntion. I re-used the working batteries in other devices.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Last Chance: Win an Honor Band 5

Acclaimed illustrator James Jean's comic book past gets celebrated in new book

Best Apple tech gifts for Christmas 2019

Noël (2019) : idées cadeaux & guide d'achat !