DLL probs - what do I do now, please?

saabists 21:13 21 May 2003

Win98SE - Scandisk doesn't work ("Segment not present fault KRNL386.EXE"). Try opening Dskmaint.dll, which tries to open PhotoPlus6!
Uninstall PP6, try again - "Program not found. Windows cannot find PhotoPlus.exe This program is needed for opening files of type 'Application Extension'"
Try opening other dlls and the same message appears. Is there a Trojan? Do I need to use Trojfix? Should I delete all Registry links with PP6?
Can anyone help me before I make things worse?!!
I'm no beginner, but this one's got me stuck ... Thanks in advance - JohnH.

VoG™ 22:12 21 May 2003

First thing is to do a virus scan (you do have up to date virus scanner?). Then you can try click here

Then Start, Run and enter

SFC /SCANNOW

and enter

(note the space before / and have your Windows CD to hand.)

jls 10:12 22 May 2003

Unless you know what your doing don't alter the registry. Have you tried reinstalling windows? If you have I would suggest a complete reformat and installation (after taking all necessary back ups etc.

MichelleC 10:42 22 May 2003

Another thing to try is:

Go to Start > Shutdown, and choose 'Restart the computer in MS-DOS'

At the blinking cursor, type the following commands successively, hitting 'enter' after EACH line:

cd\
cd windows\command
scanreg /fix

The Scanreg tool will now proceed to rebuild your registry, which can take some time.

VoG™ 15:48 23 May 2003

Via e-mail

Hello VoG and thanks - used "The Cleaner" and although there was quite a lot of activity (after I'd updated and set the controls properly - it then took 15 min instead of 2!!), but no Trojans came to light (yes, I have anti-virus). SFC /SCANNOW command didn't work ("command parameters are not valid"), so ran SFC - details showed nothing restored, but 142 changes were made. The probs remain EXACTLY as before. I tried MichelleC's tips, but same symptoms still ... Anything else to go at?!!

MichelleC 15:55 23 May 2003

I know it's the usual tech support advice to b/up and format, but you can spend days trying to fix these things.

saabists 20:49 30 Jul 2003

Thanks to all - I've spent untold hours trying to fix this. I managed to get the thing running well enough until a full health check could be arranged.

The outcome was a faulty motherboard, so it was major surgery time (several other discrepancies -including an incorrect PSU - were found, and put right).

So, another big bill, but the machine is really humming now - long may it last ..!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?