Display problem. Pixels everywhere!

booster69 07:47 13 Aug 2006

I am having a display problem with my new PC.

I have just built it using the following hardware:-
Asus M2N-E, AMD X2 Dual core 4600 AM2, 2gig Corsair DDR2, BFG 7900 GTX graphics card, Samsung 400gig SATAII.

The problem I am getting is a pixel pattern all across my display. It’s a bit hard to describe, it’s almost like a matrix of very small multi-coloured blocks across everything. I can still see Windows XP in the background.
It began after I had finished installing XP. I had left Windows formatting a partition and when I got back to check how far it had got I had pixels everywhere!!
I thought I would have a look in the Bios setting screen to check things like CPU temp etc but when I rebooted it looked even worse. The pixels turned into coloured blocks/characters and it made reading the information in Bios almost impossible! I was able to just about see the CPU temp and that was OK.

I have checked to make sure all hardware is still seated/connected correctly and all is fine.

I have built a few PCs in the past and have never seen anything like this previously. Before I start trying anything I thought it best to ask you guys in case you have seen it before.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

octal 07:58 13 Aug 2006

Have you tried removing the graphics card and using the on-board graphics chip? The only other thing I can think of is to make sure you have the most up to date driver for the graphics card.

booster69 08:09 13 Aug 2006

Hmm, it looks like the M2N-E doesn't have on-board graphics. There is no VGA adapter on the mobo panel. Damn you ASUS! :)
I have the latest nVIDIA drivers installed, freshly downloaded yesterday!

octal 08:16 13 Aug 2006

Oh dear! Is that how they are supplying boards now, without on-board graphics. Do you have a another graphics card you can try? It definitely sounds like a graphics card problem.

booster69 08:33 13 Aug 2006

I have 2 other AGP cards but this mobo is PCI-E. D'oh!!
Suppose I could buy a cheapo GFX card from eBBay to try.
Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

HomePod review

Streaming : Netflix ou Amazon Prime Video ?