Display adapter problem (for a start)

Never again 07:51 06 Sep 2003

Hi

My friend was given a cyrix 233, 96mb ram pcwhich was running windows xp pro, ms office, pspro, etc on a 2gb hdd. He complained that it was runing slow, even after cleanup and defrag.

I suggested that this was too much for this machine and it was probably best to format and reinstall win 98 or me, which we did.

However, I am now getting the message that the display adapter is not working properley, despite installing all the different vga and svga generic ones with windows me.

I've deleted it and run the add hardware wizard, but I still can't find or install the right driver and only have 16 colours at the moment.

Any ideas please?

Never again 08:31 06 Sep 2003

Sorry - the graphics are on board. I have just downloaded belark advisor, but have to go out now.

Ill be back later and post some more info if I can find it. I'll also download aida32 as you suggest and run that.

The pc is not badged and I have been given no disks with it, so any suggestions will be welcome

Never again 09:37 06 Sep 2003

Thanks for the postings.

There are only 2 expansion slots (which may be the subject of a later post!!), and these are taken up by a modem and a usb hub.

This pc should be able to run win me ok, but if I need to install 98 then I will format again, although I dont want to waste the hours if I can help it.

Anyway, the motherboard is an GXm-Cx5520, running an award bios and on a 64 mhz bus - so do I just have to find the drivers for the on board video?

Any suggestions [email protected]

Never again 10:34 06 Sep 2003

The thing is - when it was struggling with win xp there seemed to be no problem with the display, and I thought that it was supposed to be xp which has problems with older hardware?

I would have thought that win me would have drivers to deal with old machines?

Never again 11:48 06 Sep 2003

Thanks for your advice Kryptic

I have to log off now, but I'll be back on Tuesday (hopefully).

perhaps I should have looked at the drivers before I formatted Win xp??

Never again 22:41 06 Sep 2003

Hi

i'm back earlier than expected.

Has anyone got any ideas?

woodchip 23:07 06 Sep 2003
  Never again 23:18 06 Sep 2003

Dear woodchip

Am I glad to hear from you - not that I'm not glad to hear from anyone else though. I ealise that this is not really the place for hero worship, but you and gandulf are bloody heros.

Obviously from the 1st link someone else has encountered my motherboard, but what does this mean for me?

as for the 2nd link, I have downloaded this to my home pc, but the cyrix pc is 8 miles away so what should I do with this program when I get to this pc on Tuesday.

Sorry to be so dense, but I have been up for 20 hours and have fallen into a half drunken stupor.

woodchip 23:40 06 Sep 2003

The first link tells you that the computer is just about ready for the RIP the second link is a program that I have not had the need to use but I would think that if you load and run it, it should pick up the Graphics on the board, If not you could try this some times it works some times it does not.
Right click on empty desktop/Properties/Settings/Advanced/Monitor/change click on Show all Devices choose a Generic SVGA Desktop monitor with the resolution about 1000x760 click on apply and OK then try the colour

Never again 23:52 06 Sep 2003

Thanks woodchip

I'll try it on Tuesday and let you know.

Have a good weekend

Never again 23:58 06 Sep 2003

Cheers paperman27

I forgot about this mob.

I'm thinking about breaking into work just so I can get at the pc - sick isn't it.

Thanks, as with woodchip -I'll let you know on Tuesday. have a nice one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

FIFA 19 review

Game artist Elora Pautrat shows the soft side to cyberpunk in her gorgeous landscapes

iPhone XS vs iPhone X: What is the difference?

Comment faire la mise à jour d’un Mac vers macOS Mojave ?