Disk File system consistency errors Windows 7

Captainmalcs 10:39 16 Dec 2009

Help;- Disk File system consistency errors (and Error 0x80070571)

I have just installed a new second hard disk into my computer, formatted it using Acronis Disk Director and installed Windows 7 (64bit). The installation went very well resulting in a dual boot into either Windows 7 Home Premium on the new hard disk or the existing Windows Vista Business (32 bit) on the original hard disk.

I became aware of a problem soon after the installation. If I changed from one system to the other I noticed that the computer started a chkdsk on the new hard disk soon after loading the Window’s logo in 7 or after the hour class in Vista. Stage 1 of the check, always seems OK, Stage 2 tends to delete some files index entry $I30 and stage 3 attempts to recover orphaned files. On a couple of occasions it appeared to have got into a loop when trying to load Windows 7 so I had to abort the check. I have also lost use of a few files on the way. I also noted that when I try to delete a file and occasionally write a file in Windows 7, I often get refused with the Error 0x80070571.

My immediate thought was that it was an error in the new hard disk. I have downloaded Sea Tools from Seagate and subjected the drive to all the non-destructive test. They all passed.

I have now re-installed Windows 7 on a partition of the new hard disk after cloning the Vista files from the original hard disk. i.e I have one hard disk with a Vista partition and a Windows 7 partition. The same problems have re appeared.

Now I am not sure if it is a faulty drive or if it is something to do with Windows software compatibility or the boot sector. Can you offer any advise.

Computer details:
Dell Vostro 200
Dual Core Pentium E220
4Gb memory
Original Hard Disk; Seagate ST380815AS
New Hard Disk; Seagate ST3500418AS
Windows Vista Business (32 bit) fully patched to date
Windows 7 Home premium(64bit) patched to date

Typical user log 15 December 2009
Both systems rebooted several times. All working correctly
Booted Windows 7 (OK)
Installed Office 2003
Restart Windows 7 (OK)
Boot Windows Vista
Chkdsk starts automatically then Vista loads
Restart Windows 7 (OK)
Turns off overnight.
Boot Vista, chkdsk starts & deletes several index entries $I30
Boot Windows 7 (OK)
Restart Windows 7, chkdsk starts deletes 12 index entries, recovers 1
Auto restart Windows 7, chkdsk starts, no changes
Auto restart Windows 7, chkdsk starts, no changes
Auto restart Windows 7, chkdsk starts, manual abort check (in loop)
Windows 7 loads
Try to save a file and get a warning message “SystemPropertiesProtection.exe – Corrupt Disk” & “Disk structure is corrupted & unreadable (0x80070571)”
Unable to save a screen dump file to a network drive.
Boot Windows Vista, chkdsk starts, no changes
Auto restart Vista loads OK

woodchip 11:07 16 Dec 2009

if you have a 32 bit os and 64 bit this may be the problem. Other than that you have a faulty drive or Ram

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?