Disc drive not recognising certain disks

meloshus 19:31 14 Dec 2016

Hi, So my disk drive won't recognise certain CDs. Specifically older ones made before the year 2000. My pc can read ones made after that fine but just won't recognise the older ones at all. I can't find anything useful on the net so I'm assuming older CDs just don't have the capability to be read or something.

Thanks

meloshus 19:44 14 Dec 2016

Hi, So my disk drive won't recognise certain CDs. Specifically older ones. I can't find anything useful on the net so I'm assuming older CDs just don't have the capability to be read or something.

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:14 14 Dec 2016

You may have used an old style format to save the data to the disc or the discs are not finalised and therefore won't play in any other than the drive they were burnt in.

meloshus 20:24 14 Dec 2016

All the ones I'm having trouble with are music cds that I've bought so I would assume they're all fine and working like they should be. Could it just be an issue with my pc? It's nearing ten years old.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:20 15 Dec 2016

Music CDs is and were in CDA format and therefore shouldn't be a problem, maybe just the discs need cleaning.

Also possible the drive is starting fail a new drive is probably only about £20 but as your PC is ten years old need to check whether a IDE or SATA drive before ordering a new one.

Easy to change a DVD drive as just two cable connections and 4 screws holding it in place

Burn-it 11:57 15 Dec 2016

Clean the lense??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 release date & specs

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2019 is 'Living Coral'

Can Macs Get Viruses & Do Macs Need Antivirus Software?

Comment baisser votre ping ?