Disabling Windows Messenger in XP

[DELETED] 20:00 21 Aug 2003

I have installed Windows XP (which probably wasn't a good idea)and I now have to put up with Windows Messenger POP UPs appearing when I log on to the Internet.

I don't want them, in fact I don't want Messenger at all.

Can I get rid of this annoyance?

DRiM

[DELETED] 20:08 21 Aug 2003

click here

Chris

hugh-265156 20:11 21 Aug 2003
  powerless 20:26 21 Aug 2003
  [DELETED] 20:39 21 Aug 2003

Thanks Guys, the 'STOP' you refer to was shaded, so can't select it, although above it the word 'stopped' appears. The Start Type was already 'DISABLED' so I have selected 'MANUAL' and see if it works.

Will let you know

DRiM

hugh-265156 20:47 21 Aug 2003

set it to disabled unless you want to use the service.

you have to restart the computer after changing the start up type for this to take effect.

[DELETED] 21:44 21 Aug 2003

Stop Messenger Spam click here

And the Messenger Service has nothing to do with MSN Messenger.

[DELETED] 10:50 22 Aug 2003

Most of this is getting too complicated for me to understand, so I will just put up with it if it isn't cured.

Thanks for all the efforts and help offered.

DRiM

[DELETED] 10:52 22 Aug 2003

DRiM - go to my site click here and download a program called Stop Messenger Spam. Run it - its free. This will set XP so it doesn't run the Messenger Service and you don't get the messages.

Now you also stated that "in fact I don't want Messenger at all"

MSN Messenger is different to Messenger Service. if you really want rid off MSN Messenger too we can help.

[DELETED] 11:04 22 Aug 2003

1) I often get message alerts saying a MSN Messenger friend is online wnen I am NOT logged in to MSN Messenger.

2) I manually sign-in to MSN Messenger and get a message saying samething like "..logging out of NET Messenger Service because you have logged in at another location.."

3) I have set Messenger to disabled and still get this irritating message.

Any ideas what 'NET Messenger' service is and how to prevent this happening ?

I'm also unclear whether the Jester program addresses this alert or not

Thanks for your help

Stewart

[DELETED] 11:38 22 Aug 2003

If you get

- popup ads offering Russian Wives, Hot Babes and software costing £35 to remove these ads

- and they are grey in appearance and look like winodws messages (ie no pics etc)

- and are titled Messenger Service

Then you are getting Windows Messenger Spam.

Run my program - at worst it'll block another form of spam if it doesn't fix what you want fixed.

EnglishBitter if you have a problem with logging into MSN Messenger start a new thread on the subject.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Illustrator Amy Grimes on how setting up her own eco-brand led to success with clients too

MacBook Pro keyboard issues and other problems

Test : l’enceinte connectée HomePod d’Apple