DISABLED MONITOR BY MISTAKE

liverton 10:37 14 Apr 2010

I have disabled my monitor by mistake and have not been able to get it back, the screen is lite but screen is blank so can't see what I am doing and have to start it up manual, I do get a picture of it loading then nothing can anyone help please as am only computer user no IT so please make it easy thanks.. Sorry am a woman!!!

Technotiger 10:45 14 Apr 2010

What were you doing when the monitor went blank?

What OS, like XP/Vista/Win7, and is it a Desktop or Laptop?

liverton 11:12 14 Apr 2010

Hi thanks for quick response, but long story as I was trying to resolve my resolution, as my screen was coming up with large icons and I went into settings etc.. and could not push up the needle and then troubleshooted saying my monitor was not known, I must of pressed the wrong button and it disabled my monitor hope this makes sense I am not good at fixing sorry. It is also a desktop and am using WXP prof. I have gone into safe mode and did not know which options to press?? I would be grateful for any hep..Thanks Lorna

Technotiger 11:22 14 Apr 2010

Go into Safe Mode again, then Safe Mode with Networking - then choose, Last Known Good Configuration and press Return. Then keep your fingers crossed.

liverton 11:33 14 Apr 2010

Well I did keep my fingers crossed, but did nothing screen still blank..am using borrowed laptop till I can fix this..Feel so stupid I should never of pressed this disable button and could kick myself....any other ideas besides chucking it off the roof..Ha

Technotiger 11:41 14 Apr 2010

I am a bit puzzled though - if screen is blank, how are you able to get into safe mode, and make the choices?

BRYNIT 11:45 14 Apr 2010

Could be the Monitor have you tried it on another computer.

liverton 11:54 14 Apr 2010

when I manually started it up I pressed f8 then x and the safe mode menue came up. TO BRYNIT. No I have not tried the monitor on another computer but have tried another monitor and it is the same blank screen.Both are flat screens,both can't be faulty,So am at a loss.

liverton 12:02 14 Apr 2010

my screen is only blank but it is on windows is not coming up thats the thing.. is there a way we could restore it by resetting it back to an earlier date??

onthelimit 12:05 14 Apr 2010

If the screen works when in safe mode, then just do a system restore from there

Technotiger 12:11 14 Apr 2010

As onthelimit says - System Restore, in safe mode might be the answer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

HomePod review

Streaming : Netflix ou Amazon Prime Video ?