Dirty fan or hard drive problem?

Mimi1 14:42 11 Jan 2005

When switching on my pc, I get a whirring/groaning sound, which disappears after after 20 seconds when the computer has started up.

I've spoken to a few people who suggest that the internal fan needs cleaning and it's unlikely to be my hard drive packing up. My computer is 4 years old, but excellent quality and I've had no problems with it.

I rang my local pc shop, who are trying to convince me it's the hard drive and the computer sounds as if it's on the way out. Obviously I don't want to get ripped off here and don't know what to believe. Should I let them have a look at it, or should I attempt to clean the fan myself (I'm very wary of doing this, being a completely IT illerate female!).

Any advice much appreciated.

ACOLYTE 14:47 11 Jan 2005

Put your ear to the back of the case on boot if its the fan you should hear it,i would be very suprised if its the Hd,if it was making noises like that i think it would have broke already,It may also be the CPU fan in with case you will need to take the side of the pc and have a listen/look at it Dont Touch!,the noise will tell you all you need to know.

Technotiger 14:48 11 Jan 2005

Hi, it could be either, but I had similar groans and grunts from my pc some time ago - also about 4yrs old, with no other major problems - mine turned out to be the hard-drive, changed it, had no more groans, either from pc or me :-))

popgeoff 14:51 11 Jan 2005

I had exactly the same problem. Phoned my PC shop who built it for me. They said " Sounds like a fan problem, bring it in". I did so and they gave the fan a clean while I waited. No charge. All OK now.

popgeoff 14:51 11 Jan 2005

I had exactly the same problem. Phoned my PC shop who built it for me. They said " Sounds like a fan problem, bring it in". I did so and they gave the fan a clean while I waited. No charge. All OK now.

Peter 15:00 11 Jan 2005

Whatever the cause of the noise it would be best to take an image backup of the complete hard disk using Norton Ghost or something similar. That way, when the PC packs up, you won't have lost all your data.

Peter.

Mimi1 15:32 11 Jan 2005

Thanks for all the prompt replies guys. I wouldn't have a clue how to back up my hard drive unfortunately in case of problems, so may give the shop another ring to see if they'll have a look for free and then see what they think the problem is and take it from there.

Also, my husband's since told me he knows an IT guy and, although he hasn't seen him for ages, he's prepared to give him a ring to see if he'll take a look, so this could well be the best (and most cost effective!) idea.

Here's hoping it's just a dirty fan ...

Cheers,
Mimi

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?