Dirty circuit board causing problems: common?.

Bazzaman 14:35 13 Aug 2015

I've previously cured a problem with an old Humax 9200T PVR (where the clock module stopped working) by cleaning the relevant circuit board (PCB) with isopropyl alcohol. This is a well known problem with the Humax 9200T and the "fix" is well establish (I've done it a number of times on my machine and that of a relation - all successful). It seems that over time, some residue builds up and bridges some circuits allowing low level tracking across the board.

Well, just recently my ancient Denon DRA-545RD Stereo Receiver started playing up. The left channel was very faint and lacking in bass. By playing with the controls I guessed that the problem lay in the area of the Variable Loudness (VL) control (slight pressure on the control temporarily rectified the problem). As that wasn't a permanent fix I deemed it necessary to dismantle and investigate further.

I could see that slight pressure on the PCB that the VL was connected to would again resolve the problem (but soon dropping back again). My initial thought was a dry joint of some other such soldering issue.

However,having looked at the underside of the PCB (the solder side), I could see some slight traces of black right by the VL connections. A quick swab with isopropyl alcohol seems to have solved the issue (at least for now).

So, my question is this: Is it that common for dirty PCBs to cause such problems? If so, it makes me wonder how many pieces of equipment are binned when a quick swab with isopropyl alcohol might fix the problem.

Forum Editor 16:54 13 Aug 2015

Transferred to Tech Helproom from Tech Consumer Advice.

Forum Editor 16:58 13 Aug 2015

"So, my question is this: Is it that common for dirty PCBs to cause such problems? If so, it makes me wonder how many pieces of equipment are binned when a quick swab with isopropyl alcohol might fix the problem."

Taking your questions in order, my response would be 'reasonably' and 'probably quite a few'.

alanrwood 19:50 13 Aug 2015

The first thing we always did with a circuit board was clean it in a suitable solvent bath. You would probably be amazed at how many were sorted out by this simple procedure.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The best of Gamescom 2019

Best free Photoshop brushes 2019

Apple TV streaming service: what, where, when and how much

Les meilleurs smartphones incassables (2019)