DirectX 9

pj123 15:51 07 Aug 2005

My next door neighbour has a new toy. A laptop with XP.

He is trying to run a programme which says it need DirectX 9. So it appears he doesn't have DirectX 9.

The laptop is not connected to the internet so I went to the microsoft site and downloaded (what I thought was DirectX 9) It appears that what I downloaded was only an Installer. Is there anywhere I can download the full DirectX 9 and install on his laptop?

dagwoood 15:54 07 Aug 2005

This is what you want click here

HTH, dagwoood.

Totally-braindead 15:55 07 Aug 2005

May not help but if you have any new PC games lying about they will probably have the latest version of DirectX on them, or if you're on BB why not just get your neighbour to come round and temporarily connect him using your router.

Zaphod Beeblebrox 16:01 07 Aug 2005

or a magazine cover disk may have it if you have some lying around

pj123 16:07 07 Aug 2005

Thanks, dagwoood. Have downloaded that file. I expect him back again shortly. I have sent him home to check his CDs for recent games (as Totally-braindead has suggested).

Yes I am on NTL BB. but is that just a simple case of connecting his laptop to my modem? I think it would need the NTL software as well.

pj123 16:10 07 Aug 2005

Have looked on quite a few Mag Cover Disks but no luck. Maybe the PCA Download Forum has it? Will give it a try now.

Totally-braindead 16:14 07 Aug 2005

pj123 I'm with Tiscali and frequently connect PCs that I'm trying to fix up to my BB for downloading updates etc. Its an external router, all I have to do is install the software that came with it and then plug it in to the USB slot, after I'm done all I do is delete the software again and thats it. Since the laptop doesn't connect to the internet then I presume that he/she may not have antivirus etc so maybe you're better off not connecting it. If anything did go wrong you wouldn't want your neighbour mad with you, hes too close since he/she lives next door.

Totally-braindead 16:14 07 Aug 2005

pj123 I'm with Tiscali and frequently connect PCs that I'm trying to fix up to my BB for downloading updates etc. Its an external router, all I have to do is install the software that came with it and then plug it in to the USB slot, after I'm done all I do is delete the software again and thats it. Since the laptop doesn't connect to the internet then I presume that he/she may not have antivirus etc so maybe you're better off not connecting it. If anything did go wrong you wouldn't want your neighbour mad with you, hes too close since he/she lives next door.

pj123 16:26 07 Aug 2005

Just tried the PCA Download Forum. Only thing on there is DirectX Drivers V8.1b dated August 2002. That is three years out of date????

Totally-braindead 16:31 07 Aug 2005

Found it here click here but it 34megs

pj123 16:38 07 Aug 2005

Totally-braindead, thanks mate. Done that already. That is the same one that dagwoood pointed me to.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?