Direct 3D, again.

Hotfingers 22:21 19 Jan 2003
  Hotfingers 22:21 19 Jan 2003

A while back my computer, every now and then when changing to the screensaver would constantly click from one resolution to another and I would have to turn it off. To try and fix this I formated my hard drive, and it was fine for a few weeks. Now all of a sudden it has started doing this again, however after a while it stops and says 'cannot create Direct3D device'. I have used DX diag and when I run 'test Direct 3d' it says:
'D3D7 Test Result: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x887602eb (error code)'.

I have the latest version as far as I know, 8.1. It does not get far enough into the test to run D3D8 tests. I have tried to re-install Direct X but it has not worked. System: PIII 650, 384Mb, GeForce2 GTS 32mb with WHQL certification.

I asked for help on this problem a couple of days ago, and after following the recommendation to upgrade to Direct X 9, the computer seemed to work fine. Now this evening it has started happening yet again with DX9, with this error message:

Direct3D 7 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x887602eb (error code)
Direct3D 8 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8007000e (Out of memory)
Direct3D 9 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8007000e (Out of memory)

Now, not only will the screensaver not work, but no games will. i have just started to download the latest drivers, but doubt this will make a differance. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Hotfingers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?