dimm memory boards

Chester Field 19:56 27 Jul 2003

I am running win XP with two users and needed to upgrade the memory from 64mg to 256mg. I purchased a 256 and placed it into the slot next to the 64 but the computer only showed 192mg. I took the 256 back as faulty and the new one did the same. I then tried 2x 128mg chips together but the computer gave a memory of only 128mg. Also when I put just 1x 128 + 1x 64 it made only 94mg. What can I do to get the full 256mg?

pj123 23:33 27 Jul 2003

Looks to me like you have onboard shared video of 64mb. which is why your memory shows as 64mb short.

DieSse 00:28 28 Jul 2003

I suspect you have a system with an older motherboard (440BX/LX type perhaps) - which cannot take newer SDRAM modules that have a different internal organisation to current types.

Earlier motherboards have less RAM addressing lines, which means they cannot access the full capacity of later chips - thus commonly only find half the capacity of the module - which sounds just like you are getting.

The secret is to see if you can find some of the older type modules - sometimes called "double sided" - as they need more chips of lower capacity to make the same final capaity as a modern module.

DieSse 00:30 28 Jul 2003

"which cannot take newer SDRAM modules that have a different internal organisation to current types." should have read

which cannot take newer SDRAM modules that have a different internal organisation to older types.

sorry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?