Digital camera question.

hiwatt 13:55 29 Oct 2008

Hi folks,not strictly computer related but can anyone please recommend a good quality digital camera at a reasonable price?It's for a gift and I know nothing about cameras.Thankyou.

ened 14:22 29 Oct 2008

Do you want to give a 'Compact' or DSLR?

The former is more of a point and shoot but these days will take extremely good pics.

The DSLR is for the slightly more serious photographer and has interchangeable lenses.

hiwatt 18:19 29 Oct 2008

Hi folks.Thanks for your suggestions.I don't really have a set budget but I'm thinking about £50-80?It doesn't really need to have a lot of functions,just to be able to take good quality photo's and be able to view them on the camera screen and update them to the computer.As I said,I know nothing about digital cameras.Thanks.

Stuartli 18:26 29 Oct 2008

Try one of the Canon Powershot models that have a "proper" viewfinder rather than the user having to peer at a tiny screen.

The range basically uses the same body whilst adding extra features and more megapixels the more you pay. The A560 is available at Argos for a remarkable price of £60:

click here

and uses the well regarded, yet still low cost Secure Digital cards.

Weskit 18:51 29 Oct 2008

Probably outside your price range but I find my Canon Ixus 80IS is a smart little camera which does all I want. Viewfinder, SD card, 8 Mp, video at 640 x 480, very handy size...

hssutton 19:00 29 Oct 2008

I've just received an email from PhaseOne saying "now you can also afford the best" Only 13,999 euros.
Any of you happy snappers fancy one :)

woodchip 19:04 29 Oct 2008

As above try to get one as above with proper viewfinder, as just using Screen may not be so good in bright sunlight. Have a look in Argos. The Lens is more impotent than mega pixels 4meg pixel should be enough

Edbanger 19:36 29 Oct 2008

I bought a Panasonic Lumix TZ5, after using different Canon A series cameras for a number of years.

I always liked having a viewfinder, but I can honestly say I have never missed it since buying the TZ5 in June. The Panasonic has a 3" screen which is larger than some on DSLR's.

Stuartli 20:20 29 Oct 2008

See my posting at 18:26...:-))

hiwatt 12:11 30 Oct 2008

Thanks again folks.The canon A560 sounds good and has everything needed.I'll go for that one.Thanks for the advice.

Stuartli 15:41 31 Oct 2008

It's a good price - I paid that for the 1GB equivalent a few weeks ago.

Mind you when I first bought my Minolta digital camera, which takes SD and MMC cards, I paid £25 for a humble 32MB MMC card to go with it...:-(

At least it held more than the 8MB card supplied with the camera......

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone 11 Pro vs Huawei P30 Pro: How Pro should you go?

IBC 2019: new video tools from Adobe, Blackmagic, Lenovo and more

iOS 13 release date, time & new features

Les meilleurs appareils connectés compatibles avec Google Home (2019)