difference between sata cd/dvd and IDE cd/dvd

tonyq 14:44 15 Dec 2018

I removed a cd/dvd writer from a 10 year old 17" samsung laptop to be placed into a caddy. I received the caddy, but the circuit strip did not look like it would fit into the cd/dvd unit. I sent a photo to the suppiler who said I had ordered a SATA caddy and that the photo fitting was that of a IDE unit.A friend said he had a SATA cd/dvd unit that I could have, but the fittings look just like the one I have. How can I verify I have a SATA or IDE modal ?

[DELETED] 15:07 15 Dec 2018

Have a look here and scroll down a tad, link .

tonyq 15:18 15 Dec 2018

This is the picture I sent to supplier. click here

[DELETED] 15:26 15 Dec 2018

The optical drive is IDE (Pata) and the caddy connection (background) is 15 pin sata port. This should be the type you need IDE caddy to USB.

[DELETED] 15:43 15 Dec 2018

Just to be sure as the images aren't very clear, is this the connection on the drive?

That's an IDE connection.

tonyq 15:53 15 Dec 2018

yes that's the connection.

[DELETED] 17:08 15 Dec 2018

You can try the one I linked to on Ebay or search further.

Wonder if the seller might take the sata one back for refund or change it for an IDE connection one? If not it can always come in handy one day.

BRYNIT 23:06 15 Dec 2018

For the cost of an external dvd drive you might as well buy a new one. CLICK HERE

[DELETED] 23:22 15 Dec 2018

BRYNIT , that's twenty squids.. cheaper around and as good quality. I do agree with you though.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi Mix 3 UK Review: Xiaomi's Flagship Slides Into The UK

12 character artists you should know about in 2019

iPad mini 5 release date, price & specs rumours

Test : l’enceinte Bluetooth BW-AS2 de Blitzwolf