Dialler programmes

Pip58 23:48 13 Sep 2004

Recently whilst offline I was connected by broadband to an adult rated telephone service. When I complained to my telephone service provider I was told that this has been happening rather a lot lately and many complaints have been received.
Can anyone advise me of how to stop this happening again without using a call-barring programme.

Thanks

Jeffers22 00:07 14 Sep 2004

Wasn't aware that this could happen with BB as it doesn't dial as such. Do you still have your old dial up modem connected to both the PC and the phone line? If so pull the plug from the PC and only reconnect if BB goes down. Check for the presence of a dialler using something like Spybot.

If no modem still connected, makes me wonder if someone can hihack your phone line and spoof the call as coming from you?

bretsky 00:37 14 Sep 2004

I also disabled my pci modem via device manager when I changed over to B/B, will take it out altogether one day.

bretsky ;0)

Pip58 00:58 14 Sep 2004

Hi Bretsky - thanks for your info. I'm not very well up on computers so haven't done much with device manager - is it easy to do? Cheers

Hi Jeffers22 - well I didn't think it could either - but I was caught because the phone company I use could tell that it had been dialled up by computer! All I heard was the ringing of the dialled number - thought it was on TV at the time as I was offline - turns out it was the broadband modem. Fortunately I went online - call cost £7.50 FOR 5 mins. or so - could have been much worse

Pip58 00:58 14 Sep 2004

Hi Bretsky - thanks for your info. I'm not very well up on computers so haven't done much with device manager - is it easy to do? Cheers

Hi Jeffers22 - well I didn't think it could either - but I was caught because the phone company I use could tell that it had been dialled up by computer! All I heard was the ringing of the dialled number - thought it was on TV at the time as I was offline - turns out it was the broadband modem. Fortunately I went online - call cost £7.50 FOR 5 mins. or so - could have been much worse

rawprawn 08:23 14 Sep 2004

Are you absolutely sure it was the BB modem, if so I think there are a lot of people out there who ought to know about it. I always understood that it was impossible for a BB modem to dial a phone number.

rawprawn 08:27 14 Sep 2004

Here is another consensus of opinion click here

Graham ® 09:46 14 Sep 2004

The smart money is on your dial-up modem being still connected. Pull the plug.

bretsky 13:50 14 Sep 2004

To disable your PCI DIAL UP modem, go to my computer and right click the icon, go to properties and look for the hardware tab, then click on the device manager button and look for your modem which will be in most cases a 'conexant HSF V92 56K RTAD speakerphone pci modem' right click this and select disable, a red cross will now appear.
Job done............

bretsky ;0)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?