Dialers, can this happen?

pimpers 19:56 01 Dec 2004

Sorry if this has been dealt with previously, please send me in the directon of the thread and I will happly look there.

I have a friend who has had a few weird phone charges on their bill. They have also heard a phone noise like a fax machine dialing out at odd times of the day/night.

Questions are:
Does the PC have to be switched on for the modem to work?
If you leave the phone lead plugged into the phone socket and a premium rate dialer is secreted on the PC, can a connection still be made if the PC is switched OFF?

Many thanks.

Pimpers.

JoeC 20:01 01 Dec 2004

what you are after

click here

Gemma 20:21 01 Dec 2004

Internal PC powered modem card or external independently powered modem?

In generalities, a modem that has power can answer a call but can only initiate a call if the PC tells it to. If the PC is off then it can't.

However, most modern PC's are not "off" even if they are switched off. How? The power supply (no fan running) provides power for certain features such as the local area network and sometimes the modem. If you look round the back of the PC where the AC lead is plugged in you may find an on/off switch. The only way to remove the power totally is to turn this switch off or turn off at the wall socket.

Have your friend turn the PC off and see if the problem goes away.

jack 20:52 01 Dec 2004

The computer 'box' off switch is not totally off
As mentioned the only way is to power down at wall socket - if that is inconvenient -Yes I too have a speghetti junction under the desk. get a switched socket strip[ preferably protected] and switch all off from there- then nothing will work.

jack 20:52 01 Dec 2004

The computer 'box' off switch is not totally off
As mentioned the only way is to power down at wall socket - if that is inconvenient -Yes I too have a speghetti junction under the desk. get a switched socket strip[ preferably protected] and switch all off from there- then nothing will work.

bamfiesler 21:37 01 Dec 2004

Run a search on dialers, and check the 'connections' tab in Internet Explorer properties to see if there's anything there other thatn the correct dialing program.

plsndrs3 09:13 02 Dec 2004

Just be careful what you actually remove from the system as some programs put false diallers onto the syustem such as Spybot & Spywareblaster which can place records into the registry to make it appear that you already have a dialler. This stops real diallers from installing as they believe that they are already installed.

Best advice would be to install, immediately update then run spybot and let it remove anything it finds:

security.kolla.de/

Paul

plsndrs3 09:14 02 Dec 2004

security.kolla.de/ should read
click here

pimpers 13:28 02 Dec 2004

Thanks to all of you.

I will refer back when I have asked all the above questions.

Pimpers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?