Dial Up Window comes up ad hoc!

TonyV 19:33 21 Aug 2004

I've looked in the Forum to see if there is an answer to the question of the Dial Up window coming up on almost an ad hoc basis. Typically, when my machine has been to sleep for a while and I wake it up, the Dial Up window appears. I've looked on the Task Manager window and nothing spurious appears to be running. I've clicked on the connect button and it connects but goes nowhere!

Anybody got any ideas where to start to try and resolve the annoying little problem? Nothing has changed in the system and it has been happening for about the past three weeks. I've copleted a full virus scan and everything is clean.

It suggests a Registry problem that is instructing the Dial Up window to open, but am not sure what to look for.

I run Win98 SE with all the updates. The latest version of ZoneAlarm Pro and Norton AV 2004. I did have ONSPEED on but thought the speed saving was miniscule so took that off.

Thanks.

bretsky 22:12 21 Aug 2004

Read this some very useful links click here

bretsky ;0)

TonyV 10:05 22 Aug 2004

Thanks for all the above. I will give the tips a go and see what happens.
Magik ®©, I don't want to do that because it is good to go direct to the Dial Up window when firing up OE or IE. Thanks though.

TonyV 19:40 22 Aug 2004

Magik ®©, not quite sure what you mean. If I enable the "Never dial a connection", and fire up IE, nothing happens. I have to go back a step, then get a connection, and then go in to IE. Are you saying to do that exercise easier, put a short cut of the Dial up window on the desktop and click that before opening IE?
Thanks.

TonyV 20:10 22 Aug 2004

Magik ®©, Thanks. I will have a go and see if I can correct it usig the last iformation you sent out.

TonyV 20:13 22 Aug 2004

Magik ®©, I managed to get the page you were referring to any way! (280853). As I said, I will check my settings and try again. Many thanks.

TonyV 21:13 02 Sep 2004

I've let this problem rest for a while but it still keeps coming up! This evening it came up and I managed to get a showing in the running programmes (ctrl/alt/del) which showed "AUpdate". I checked in my directories to see what was covered by this and it seems that something called Gtek, which appears in C:\Windows\Application Data and C:\Windows\All Users\Application data. Both these directories have this AUpdate. Any one any idea what it refers to? Going through the various folder structures, it seems as thogh Norton Live Update may be involved and possibly Hewlett Packard. (I have a HP Deskjet 930C printer). Could it be one of these that is triggering this Dial Up window?
Thanks in advance.

bretsky 22:05 02 Sep 2004

It seems it could be this click here possibly trying to update printer drivers or some such.

click here for "AUpdate"

bretsky ;0)
PS start new thread if you still have the problem............cheers

TonyV 15:17 03 Sep 2004

Bretsky, I had a look at the two links you posted and ran the Pest one. It came up with two cookies that were a "pest". (One for Realmedia and one for Adtech) What I have now done is to delete the references to Gtek mentioned above from my machine and cleared all references to it in the Registry. Hopefully that will stop the problem.
Thanks for your help.

bretsky 16:19 03 Sep 2004

Yes, what I do is send all references of a particular product to the "desktop" and wait a couple of days to see if my system has not been affected and the delete them, I also make a backup of the registry{to the desktop} before I delete keys etc etc.

Nice one...............

bretsky ;0)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)