Dial up connecton starts up by itself

Charlie 19:54 24 Sep 2003

When starting programs that run from a CD the Dial Up connection box appears without being prompted.The computer has started freezing as well since this fault started. I run Windows 98

MichelleC 19:57 24 Sep 2003

Try: tools/internet options/connections, and check 'never dial a connections'.

Kitz E Kat 08:43 25 Sep 2003

Im not sure if you check 'never dial a connection'will solve your problem, i could be wriong but that setting is for ADSL and not for a dial up connection..you could try it and see..

Did you scan for a virus? if not, update your virus definitions and do a full scan....

Download Spybot click here, this will check for spyware etc, which can sometimes try to dial out..

You could try Ctrl+ALT+DEL and check the porcesses that running, you can list these and do a Google on each and see what it is, one of these is DODGY!!! for sure, but do this last as it is slow !!!!

Kitz E Kat

Bodi 09:57 25 Sep 2003

Funnily enough I had exactly the same problem (Win98)- haven't the foggiest idea why, but it was extremely annoying.

Reinstalling my internet connection seemed to resolve the problem. Again I don't know why.

Bodi

brittas 10:30 25 Sep 2003

You probably have a trojan on your machine or a dialer. Download either "spybot" or "adaware" and run them. You will probably find it is a dialer !!! Go here (sorry not good at including links)click here

Gee Tee 20:30 25 Sep 2003

i have just found it is the firewall i
have just installed, kerio 2.1.5 i am
running 98SE and i unticked programs
on startup till i found the culprit.
i have run spybot and adaware they found
nothing.

Peverelli 00:28 26 Sep 2003

What did you do to enable you to resolve the problem?

Charlie 09:26 27 Sep 2003

I checked never dial a connection in
tools/internet options/connections. I ran the program without any trouble a few times and then had to uncheck the box to get back onto the net. I left the box unchecked and tried the progam and it ran ok. The computer appears to be running a lot better now, thanks to all who gave help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?