Dial-up conn. box and Norton

Kegsy 20:47 29 Jan 2004

I have win98 and Norton 2003. Recently the dial-up connection box has been appearing every time I start the computer. I've also noticed that not until I cancel it, does the Norton icon appear in the bottom right hand corner of the screen (what is that toolbar called?). Any ideas???

Diodorus Siculus 20:55 29 Jan 2004

Yes, Norton is trying to update itself.

Check the norton options and untick the one for automatic updates and you should see a difference.

Kegsy 21:23 29 Jan 2004

thanks Dio I'll give that a try

Kegsy 12:59 04 Feb 2004

Still got problems. I unchecked the auto live update, but every time I boot up the DU conn box still comes up. I click cancel repeatedly and eventually it goes and the Norton icon appears. I open the Norton window and live update is ticked, at this stage it says "refreshing" and after about 20 seconds the live update changes to disabled. During this time I continually have to cancel the DU conn box. Once live update has changed to disabled the DU box does not come back.

sicknote 13:33 04 Feb 2004

To change the Internet Explorer connection option
1. Open Internet Explorer.
2. Click Tools > Internet Options.
3. When viewing the Internet Options window, click the Connections tab.
4. Select Never dial a connection.
5. Click Apply.
6. Click OK to close the Internet Options window.

To clear certain Internet Explorer
1. Open Internet Explorer.
2. Click Tools > Internet Options.
3. Click the Advanced tab.
4. Under Security, clear the "Check for server certificate revocation (requires restart)" and "Check for Publisher's certificate revocation" check boxes.
Click Apply > OK. Restart the computer when prompted

greybeard 17:14 04 Feb 2004

I hope your solution has worked for Kegsy, because it has certainly sorted my pc out !
I was just about to download my own plea for help having tried everything that a search through the last years postings has produced when I spotted this one.
Many thanks again.

sicknote 18:36 04 Feb 2004

go to norton database

click here=

Kegsy 22:52 04 Feb 2004

Thanks, sicknote, I followed your advice in your 2nd para, that works, but now Norton is disabled when I start up so I’ve got to remember to enable it before I go online. Come to think of it surely there should be some way of Norton being automatically enabled as soon as I dial up and disabling once I go offline, this would made life a lot simpler. I haven't tried changing my setting from "dial my default connection" to "Dial whenever a network connection is not present" as suggested on the Symantec site, will try it and see what the implications are.

robbiehood 13:02 06 Feb 2004

Hi - I also have this box appearing at random,frequent intervals. To prevent it I've also checked "Never dial a connection" but now I have to go to DUN first to establish a connection before being able to access my home page. Does anyone have a solution? I'm using WinMe, Zone Alarm, and McAfee VirusScan with auto updates disabled.
Thanks.

robbiehood 13:03 06 Feb 2004

Hi - I also have this box appearing at random,frequent intervals. To prevent it I've also checked "Never dial a connection" but now I have to go to DUN first to establish a connection before being able to access my home page. Does anyone have a solution? I'm using WinMe, Zone Alarm, and McAfee VirusScan with auto updates disabled.
Thanks.

robbiehood 13:05 06 Feb 2004

Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?