DHCP lease expired! No wifi.

Jan Addis 14:55 13 Dec 2016
Answered

My desktop computer suddenly decided not to access wifi. I have tried several things and then saw that the DHCP lease had expired on 11/12/16. I have no idea what this means, but I suspect it is the cause. Please can someone advise what I should do - simple instructions and plain English please as I am certainly not a tech! Computer is a Dell and wifi is from Sky router. My tablet seems to work ok. Thank you've so much for any help.

Burn-it 16:33 13 Dec 2016

Have you tried the good old "power off and on again"??

The lease is normally renewed half way though the time, but may have been interupted. A full power restart should kick the process off again. ou ma need to leave the power off for a short time so that the network card's cache is cleared. ( I have known this to ned to be over night). Also check the Motherboard battery and the date.

Burn-it 16:34 13 Dec 2016

Damn keyboard playing up again!!!

Bris 17:01 13 Dec 2016

From a command prompt type ipconfig /release then type ipconfig /renew this may fix it but the message may just mean that your PC has lost contact with your router.

On the PC also check that the DHCP client service is running - control panel>admin tools>component services>services then look for "DHCP client" which should have a status of running and a startup type of automatic.

Are you able to connect to the router using an ethernet cable?

Jan Addis 19:48 13 Dec 2016

Wow amazing - i have my WiFi back! I had already tried the shut down and start up so tried the command prompts and it's worked. Thank you so much! I have no idea what happened or why it expired and can't now find where it said the expiry date so hopefully it doesn't happen again. Very grateful for your expertise.

Jan Addis 19:49 13 Dec 2016

Wow amazing - i have my WiFi back! I had already tried the shut down and start up so tried the command prompts and it's worked. Thank you so much! I have no idea what happened or why it expired and can't now find where it said the expiry date so hopefully it doesn't happen again. Very grateful for your expertise.

Jan Addis 15:28 31 Dec 2016
Answer

OK I'm sorry - spoke to soon! While typing ipconfig/release and then ipconfig/renew at the command point did solve the problem i now seem to have to do this every day! This does restore my wifi but is a bit of a nuisance and suggests something isn't quite right. I checked the component services as suggested and the DHCP is running and start up does say automatic. Anymore suggestions gratefully received.

difarn 15:42 31 Dec 2016

Have you checked to see if the option to obtain an IP address automatically is ticked? It may, for some reason, have become unticked.

Here are the instructions for Windows 10 as I don't know which OS you are using:-

click here

bumpkin 19:10 31 Dec 2016

As I understand it the lease is 24hrs, which would explain why you have renew ip every day but this should be automatic. Something in your settings I think.

Secret-Squirrel 09:22 01 Jan 2017

Jan, the obvious solution to your problem is to give your PC a fixed (permanent) IP address. With no lease to expire it should help.

If you need step-by-step instructions then let me know your version of Windows. It'll be a little bit fiddly to setup but will only need to done the once.

Jan Addis 11:30 01 Jan 2017

Thank you difarn - checked all you suggested and everything was correct. Strangely this morning the wifi is on, but I think I would like to try to set up a permanent IP address as you suggested Secret Squirrel. I'm running Windows 10 - be grateful for step by step instructions please. Thank you all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 release date & specs

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2019 is 'Living Coral'

Can Macs Get Viruses & Do Macs Need Antivirus Software?

Comment baisser votre ping ?